You can type here any text you want

turbo project

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

inline63duece

hi,
i dont have a turbo buick bet i was thinking of putting a turbo in my 63 nova with a 230 straight six. i figured the buick turbo would be good because engine size is about the same. but anyways few questions for you guys. i like the draw thru setup of the early buicks but has anyone used a holley carb instead of the spreadbore? if so how much mods would have to be done to the carb and how hard is it? another question how much boost does the sock wastegate make? i have 8.5:1 comp and it is mainly streetdriven so i would like to keep it somewhat low. thanks any help would be appreciated:cool:

drew

Back many, many years ago, Hot Rod magazine did an article on this. An inline six makes it easy to get at everything.

If you do go with a draw though setup, You should modify the power valve section of the carb so the it can reference the intake manifold vacuum. And also install a check valve so no boost get's to the power valve that will pop the power valve.

A blow though system would allow you to intercool it. And you have to get a mechanical fuel pump that uses a boost reference signal to raise fuel pressure as boost increases and you will have to seal the carb. Stock boost is around 9 pounds .

But first what shape is the engine in? If it has allot of mileage you should rebuild it first.

Just my opinion.

it is freshly rebuilt with some mods. i would like to do a draw thru because instalation would be easier and maybe overall cheeper. the power valve is this hard to do? does somebody make a kit or something to do this to a holley? thanks for the info

drew

If you don't already have it, go get a book called "Turbochargers" by Hugh MacInnes. It will help you a lot with this project. (Most larger bookstores carry it.)

yes i have the book and have read it but i was planning on hopefully using a buick turbo so i thought it would be a good idea. has anyone done these mods necessary for say like a holley model 4150/60 i know kinda what needs to be done to the carb just not sure on how to do it. also if the stock turbo puts out about 9 psi and this is on an engine with a cr of 8.5 i would think this would be a little much for a mainly street motor right? so would there be anyway to maybe lower the boost like 1-2 psi? sorry for all the questions but im new to the whole turbo stuff but learning fast. thanks for the help

drew

1-2 psi? Why bother?

The boost pressure is adjustable via the wastegate actuator.

The stock Buick V6 Carb/Turbo runs 9 psi at 8.0:1 CR. They can handle much more if you control detonation. That's the key to any forced induction motor.

Reread about water injection, fuel enrichment and boost timing retard. These will all help prevent detonation and allow you to run the 8.5 CR with the most boost possible.

Back