You can type here any text you want

Turbo Replacement

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sugarandopium

where were the spiders
Next week, I will be going from a stock Downpipe and Turbo, to a TA-49 and Cottons/TA Downpipe.

I want to be prepared mentally and with parts for the swap.
It all looks pretty straightfoward, and from what I understand the DP includes needed gaskets.
The turbo on the other hand..... Do I need any gaskets, oil lines, or other parts?
Is there anything else that is a recommended upgrade to a bone stocker / recommended replacement due to age while in this area?
Any tips tricks advice or anything I should know for a first time turbo swap?

Did my first turbo swap last year, it's not that bad.

As far as gaskets there's one that goes on the underside of the turbo where the oil drain line attaches. There are also copper gaskets available for the 3 bolt flange where the turbo bolts to the header but as long as the surfaces are flush you shouldn't need a gasket. Maybe some high temp copper RTV. Same thing for the downpipe to turbo, as long as the surfaces are flush you shouldn't need a gasket, putting a thick gasket in there can actually throw off the angle of the wastegate puck and make it not seal properly.

Many vendors now sell replacement drain lines and oil feed lines, if you notice any leaks on yours you can replace them.

Really the only thing you would need out of that kit is the bottom center gasket, that's for the oil drain line flange. Most new turbos already come with that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Buic...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

The round exhaust donut is only for a stock downpipe setup, won't need that if you're changing downpipes.

Won't need the o-rings unless you plan on working on the internals of the turbo.

The gasket on the left is for the removable turbo inlet bell which you shouldn't have any reason to take off right now.

You may want to do yourself the favor of getting a can of rust penetrant and spray down the 20 year old bolts on the turbo flange, downpipe connection at the cat, etc. Those are probably going to fight you when you try to remove them.

Here's a good guide to print out and bring with you. Notice it recommends replacing the oil feed line as they have a small inside diameter and get gunked up over the years. Don't want to risk your new turbo not getting enough flow.
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turboreplace.html

Don't forget that one ground strap on the lower bracket on reinstall! If you have it, this would be a real good time to install the DP heat shield piece to save your bushings that get hot from it. As mentioned PB Blaster or AeroKroil penetrant sprayed on the day before on all bolts/nuts. You will like that particular combo for a nice street set up!

i installed my turbo last years,it took me 2 1/2 hours to due mine,it's pretty easy to due with some basic hand tools.Also my gn has 37,000 miles on it so your should be the same time frame to install

Next week, I will be going from a stock Downpipe and Turbo, to a TA-49 and Cottons/TA Downpipe.

I want to be prepared mentally and with parts for the swap.
It all looks pretty straightfoward, and from what I understand the DP includes needed gaskets.
The turbo on the other hand..... Do I need any gaskets, oil lines, or other parts?
Is there anything else that is a recommended upgrade to a bone stocker / recommended replacement due to age while in this area?
Any tips tricks advice or anything I should know for a first time turbo swap?
at 39k I don't think you replacing them becouse they failing so you doing it gain performance but if that is the case why Ta49 ,yes it looks stock ,makes little bit more power then stock but with TA DP car won't look stock anymore anyway so why such a little turbo ? just wonder becouse if TC is why you can go for dual ball bearing version of much better turbo at this time too ?
install is simple ,new drain gasket may be needed .

I just replaced the stocker on my GN with a TE-61. Wasnt bad at all. I did use a long 15mm wrench to break the three turbine nuts loose though. And I didnt use any PB or anything. Just heated the car up some and they came loose.

The only problem I had was the turbo drain tube gasket. Mine was practically concreted onto the bottom of the turbo. Finally got it off and use a razor blade to scrape off the remains. A sanding disc would be done in two seconds. Also a good time to replace the 02 sensor if need be. I also painted my turbo bracket, but I had to remove it later. Be gentle with the turbo drain tube, Ive heard they can split rather easily.

Oh, and be careful with the brass 90° elbow for the oil feed line. I went through three of them... They're easy to find, 1/8" NPT to 1/4" IF 90°. I used some teflon tape as well. No leaks.

Before you tighten the turbo down, get the two bolts started for the oil drain. That'll make life MUCH easier!!

Hope this helps. Pretty much what I learned while doing mine.

As for the downpipe, piece of cake!!! just do a corkscrew motion and its installed in under five minutes... Im getting real good at installing the TA pipe, LOL.

Scott

at 39k I don't think you replacing them becouse they failing so you doing it gain performance but if that is the case why Ta49 ,yes it looks stock ,makes little bit more power then stock but with TA DP car won't look stock anymore anyway so why such a little turbo ? just wonder becouse if TC is why you can go for dual ball bearing version of much better turbo at this time too ?
install is simple ,new drain gasket may be needed .

Well, yeah, that was the original plan... was going to bolt on a BB that would work with the stock TC.
More thinking, figured it would be better to wait til I get the TC in and have more choice on turbos.
Was going to get the injectors and DP out of the way before I went any futher and found a great deal on a 49, so figured why not.

The BB crossed my mind, but I'm not ready to change the TC yet, don't want to spend 1200 on a turbo that will leave me wanting another one when the tranny gets built, spending less than half that and wanting another one soon, i can live with.

Thanx for all the tips and links!!!

Back