Turbo V6 Impala SS new ET = 12.99

65malibuss

My previous best ET was a 13.642.
I ran some time trials at Englishtown yesterday and ran a 12.992 @ 101.99.
The only changes I made since last time are a Precision stock location intercooler and I launched with 10 lbs of boost instead of 5.
It took a few runs to figure out the tire pressure and get a good launch.
On one run I spun the drag radials for half a second at the start and ran a 13.520 at 101.94.
I eventually ended up with 24 lbs in the tires.
On a previous run I had a better mph of 103.06 but spun the drag radials at the start so the et was 13.246.
I'm still running pump gas with 17-18 psi boost.
My next mod will be to improve the cold air intake.
My air temperature sensor on the scanmaster is reading as high as 140 just cruising on the highway at 70 mph.
Then I will get gears, either 3.42 or 3.73, not sure which yet.

More Data

PS - my 60' was 1.821, 330 was 5.278, 1/8 was 8.228 @ 82.78 and 1000 was 10.804. The weight of the car with me in it was 4114.

that is great Jeff...I can't wait to see that car. Are you going to Ohio in a couple of weeks for the Buick meet?

Sounds like a fun project. I could just see the jaws drop on the cruiser crowd with that little Buick V6 in there. They probably all ask, "what's this, a 4.3?" :biggrin: Get some alky on it. ;)

I have a TE61 on my GN and it's a little laggy with a 3000 stall non-lockup. What stall converter are you using?

Ohio, TE-61

Hello Ted.
I wasn't aware of the Ohio event.
I'll have to look it up.
My father made 3 runs yesterday with his GN and was trying to get higher boost at the starting line but the brakes wouldn't hold past 8 or 10 psi. But he still ran 12.0's.
My Impala brakes are great - I can get over 12 psi easily without moving, but I think I'll need some real drag slicks to launch like that without spinning.

The TE-61 does feel a little laggy I suppose. My converter is 3000 stall if not higher. The car doesn't have as much low end torque as I thought it would when just driving normal on the highway. I guess I'm used to the Impala before the swap with the stock converter and 300 ft-lbs of torque at under 1800 rpm.

But I figured gears should help that and I'm still planning to look for possible vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks. I think my BLM and INT on the scanmaster are a higher than they should be.

There are a lot of people who walk by and ask me why I would put a V6 in the Impala. One guy walked by yesterday and asked me if I moved the engine mounts back because he didn't realize there were 2 cylinders missing.

Hey, I was just looking around and noticed your subject line including the 96 SS and turbo V6... That is so sweet! I went to your webpage for pics and checked it out, great looking car, great workmanship! Looks like it came that way. Great job on a kick a$$ car!

Squid

Website

Hello Squid.
I actually just finished updating my website a few minutes ago with new pictures and a second page with detailed information on how I did the swap, a list of every part I bought, who I bought them from and prices I paid, and a list of my favorite internet links (mostly buick related).

Jeff congrats on getting into the 12's, I was already impressed with the 13.10 you ran first pass and in better weather it'll really pick up(for example I was around .25-.32 slower than in cooler weather)

Anyway nice car and nice to meet ya, maybe I'll see ya at the next GM EFI race on Sat Aug 27th?

Steve

TTA850 said:
Jeff congrats on getting into the 12's, I was already impressed with the 13.10 you ran first pass and in better weather it'll really pick up(for example I was around .25-.32 slower than in cooler weather)

Anyway nice car and nice to meet ya, maybe I'll see ya at the next GM EFI race on Sat Aug 27th?

Steve

Yes hopefully I'll make it to the Aug 27 event, maybe with alcohol injection or gears.