turbo v6 into cutlass supreme

slowcord

hey whats up nice board!
well now on with the qs
i have a 1984 oldsmobile cutlass supreme brougham that has a buick 3.8 v-6 on it, my question is: what would be needed to put a turbo sfi v-6 in my car?? i figure i cant be that hard (and i hope i dont get told to dump it like in many other forums) what do you think??

Do a search on this entire board as this question comes up very often. You most likely wont like the answer. But if you are trying to save money vs buying an already running turbo car you will be mistaken since it is an expensive swap.
GM changed virtually EVERYTHING save for the body and some interior pieces when building the turbo V6 cars.
You are looking at:
engine
trans
rear
driveshaft
trans cross member
fuel lines
gas tank
engine harness
radiator/fans
a/c lines
engine harness and ecm

Dump it.

But seriously, if you want to do it, your best bet would be to buy a wreck, or a rust bucket, and swap everything over. If you try to do it piece meal, it just won't be worth it, unless you have $20,000 in paint and interior already in the Olds. Not to mention, trying to do it piece meal, you won't be able to figure out what really needs to be replaced. When I did mine, I never would have guessed that you need to replace the throttle cable. It was one of the last things that I hooked up. If I had to wait weeks to start the car, just because I couldn't get one, I would have been a little aggravated. Instead, I walked over to the parts car pulled it off, and started it and took it for a spin a little while later.

Brian

P.S. If you do undertake it, I took a ton of notes, and actually took the time to type some up. One lists most of the little things that need to be changed that you wouldn't automatically think of. It will probably help with the build a little.