You can type here any text you want

Turboless 3.8

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bossman

If the turbo dies on our cars or it was removed, will the engine continue to function as a regular 6 cylinder 3.8?

A long time ago I test drove a '81 Turbo Regal that was a real dog, but was driveable. I figured the turbo was shot, but I don't know for sure.

Most turbos seem to have leaky seals when they go, not siezed bearings. Leaky seals blow a lot of oil, but otherwise run. A siezed turbo would run too I suspect, but non-spinning impellers would be a big intake and exhaust restriction.

If the turbo was removed, the carb couldn't be connected to the intake. If a non-turbo intake was installed and the exhaust was connected up, it could then run. There's more to do if you want it run effectivly.

Is your turbo bad?

Thanx. Not that I'm aware of at the moment. I'm just doing some long range thinking. This is my daily driver in summer and just trying to find out if one of the "quirky" systems, turbo, hydroboost goes, how hard parts will be to get and how disabled the car will be. I was spoiled with a SBC Camaro, since parts were evreywhere and cheap.

I don't think the turbo will fail all at once. It will leak some oil into the intake and you'll notice it. It will get worse and worse, but it should be driveable for some time.

If you want to be prepared, find a spare turbo. You could swap them out in an afternoon, but removing, rebuilding, then reinstalling one could take some time (especially if you sent the turbo out to a rebuilder).

Watch ebay and look for used 82/83 Regal turbos. If it needs rebuilding, there are rebuilt center sections on ebay as well for $125.

Don't worry about the Hydroboost to much. Rebuilt units are available at most parts stores (but they may need to special order it). If all else fails, converting to vacuum is a fairly easy option.

The only thing to worry about that can leave you car-less for a while is blowing a headgasket from overboosting/knocking. Otherwise, it's just like any other car. :)

I had an 82 sport coupe with a ceased(sp) turbo. It happened over a period of years. The impeller was completely ceased. It still ran, and drove, but not well at all. B4Black is right. It causes a huge exhaust restriction though. Moreso on the carbed turbo's that use the draw through system. I've seen 87 GN's with ceased turbo's and they ran rine without the turbo for the most part. Just slow as can be. Ive seen a few guys turn their carbed turbo's into an N/A car until they got their turbo fixed. It is totally possible, but will require work. You would have to use the intake and carb off of an N/a 3.8, as well as the exhaust manifolds off of an n/A car. There would also be more work required as well to get things to run properly. For the most part, you're better off just fixing the turbo, and leaving the car the way it was born :) HTH

Back