You can type here any text you want

TurboTweak...Need help tuning please!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SVORay

I have a TurboTweak chip but I'm not sure what model it is. My instructions say TurboTweak chip version 5.6 4/8/05. Anyways, a few weeks ago I unpluged my battery to clean up some junk wires etc. Now today I was reading my TurboTweat instructions and it says unpluging the battery will lose the tune. So now I need to tune my car but I've never done any tuning before. I'm sure It's not to bad but I have no idea on the values I should set for timing and WOT etc. I would greatly appericate any help.

Mods: TE44 Turbo @ 15PSI, p&p stock heads, 208/208 cam, 42.5 injectors, THDP, PTS Xtreme 3000 stall, and CAI.

Thanks
Ray

PS I use a scanmaster 2.0v and it says my default settings is 128 on the BL.

If you received the 5.6 instructions with the chip, then it's version 5.6. The chip should also have 5.6 written on it. Check the chip to make sure about the version.
If you do any tuning using the adjustable features, those adjustments will be lost if you disconnect the battery. Since you have never used the adjustable features, then you really didn't lose anything since they would have always been at the default settings.
Most people never even use the adjustable features since the chip is designed for your setup (if you bought it from me). But if you want to tune it even further to get every last horsepower out of it, then you can play with the fuel and timing adjustments.
Generally people try to run as much boost as possible without knock or leaning out. The idea is to slowly increase boost, and if it leans out or knocks, then add some WOT fuel. If the knock goes away, then repeat until you get to a point where you can't rid of the knock. Then you have found your boost limit for the octane fuel you're using (for pump gas it's usually 16-17psi).
Some people find they can run more boost with less timing, but going much less than 18 degrees offers diminishing returns.
Let me know if you have any questions.

The chip was set for 18psi but the boost was set at 23psi ( new bigger turbo was added). This is the way I bought the car. I've since turned the boost down to 15psi so I would be on the safe side. The car ran really well this way. Then I disconnected the battery and now things have changed. It looks like I'm using a ton of fuel, detenating, and loss of power. It feels like I'm only running like 10psi instead of 15psi...plus is detenates. So do you think I need a new chip custom done for my car or can I adjust the one I currently have? \

edited: I checked the check but didn't uninstall it. The only thing it says is TurboTweak.

Thanks
Ray

You'll have to pull the chip out and look at the bottom to get the info off it. Then I can tell you what it was made for.

Eric

It looks like something was going to have to change even without me deleting info by unpluging the battery. Heres the info on chip as foolows...

TurboTweak

5.6 1540

42# Race 114

27 degrees / 26 degrees 24-26psi

I'm guessing this means 114 octane with 24-26psi of boost? If so, thats a bit much for what I plan on doing with the car ATM.

Yes, you'll need a different chip if you're running on pump gas. Don't get into boost at all with that 114 chip if you have pump gas in there, or you may do some serious damage.

Eric

Updated:

I finnaly got my new street chip in from Eric and it works great. Now I did have some major detonation at first...some how I ended up with an extra 5lbs of boost:confused: Anyhow, I turned my boost controller down a turn and noticed my accuator rod was missing that little C-clip. So after a slight boost adjustment and a C-clip, everything seems ok. I drove her around a few times and she never got above 15psi. Then when it got a close to dark'30, I went and picked up some food. I got on her again and noticed she was clearly at 16psi. It could have something to do with the air getting cooller but who knows. I'm starting to wonder if an external gate is best ;)

Anyways, Thanks Eric

Back