You can type here any text you want

Turning Boost Down a Bit

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

joejakegrace

- Remember, I'm new to turbos!!

I have moderate knocking at heavy throttle boost. Remember, the car is tucked away for the winter so I can't double check on the road but I remember boost showing in the 20s.

Of course I don't want to damage a 16k motor - nor do I want to modify it. What's the easiest route? Can I adjust the stock wastegate controller down? & How??

Its either controlled by chip or adj. wastegate. You could also have an overboost problem. First, look and see if you have an adj. WG and then go from there. If stock, then pull the chip and identify it. Lets us know what you find.

HTH
Bo

OK thanks guys & stay with me. It's too cold, salty and ugly out to do too much with the car. That, and there ain't no chip or wastegate on anything I've wrenched in the past!! - I'll let you know.

Don't start the car again until you have a scan tool....20 PSI of boost without some high octane fuel is a dangerous risk for engine damage!

Check the proper wastgate actuator length....Something like 4.62 inches, to make 16-17 PSI of boost, no more until you do some more reading ;) Someone here wil know the exact length for a stock actuator.

:)

Picture it all soaking in...

But not start it? I'm missing something - isn't boost measured under throttle? At idle, and even normal operating, we're not talking boost are we?

On mine, even moderate / gradual accelerations that kicked the turbo didn't result in knock. Only flooring it (which I did 2x).

I'm slightly overwhelmed with the data. Got the SM and am making my way through it. WHat's the best single source for Buick Turbo Tuning for Dummies? I need to sit down with a beer and Read but I find myself going all over the place and not able to follow my own thoughts.

What Ilburou was trying to to say was to not run the car in boost. You can drive it normally, but just stay out of boost until the problem is solved.

Tuning:
You want to have 02's a little rich just in case. I always run in the upper 700's to 800 on the street and tune it down to 760's on the strip...This is at WOT in 3rd gear.

BL's should be in the 128 range give or take 10....In park warmed up.

MAF should be between 4-6. In park.

Those are just a few to look at for now.

Pulling the comp. chip is very easy. Get under the PS dash and pull the black plastic off. You will see two screws toward the right hand side of the dash holding the computer up.. Remove the screws and pull out the computer gently.There are two screws that hold a 1''x4'' plate on. Remove those screws and under the plate is the chip.Look at the top of the chip and see if it has any identification on it. If not , gently pull it out and check the other side.Reverse order and your done.

www.gnttype.org is our bible for turbo buicks.

Have patience with these cars and they will reward you more than any other car.

Bo

THANKS!! - Seems like all the scan tools want to run in old DOS machines. I thought I was young and tech savy - NOT.

I'll see what I got & then start asking questions on how to adjust!!!!

Hey, remember that the TTA site talks about the serp belt "hitting" / "rubbing" under hard acceleration and sounding like a "knock" - That's when it happens for me - I have some good "boosts" with no knock at all.

Still learning!!

Originally posted by joejakegrace
.....I'm slightly overwhelmed with the data..... WHat's the best single source for Buick Turbo Tuning for Dummies?

Reading up on things is a good idea :) I suggest the search button at the top of the page for any key word you want to illucidate. Thisis a good place to look also. :)

I've been reading up in both places. I still find a good old manual/illustrated book easier to use. Tabs/clicks (while good for searching a specific question) aren't real good for getting up to speed in a new area over a beer.

Speaking of which, wouldn't it be easier for a few of you guys to stop by for one and we can go over this stuff?

Back