Twilight Sentinel

jpratt

What is it? My car has that option but I never found out what it does. It doesn't work, I think. Anybody got an explanation but for my stupidity?

Twilight Sentinel is what turns your headlights on automaticly in the dark. Basically a photo cell that trips a relay when its dark. I don't have any idea about how it works on the older regals but in my new one it can be annoying at times when I want to dim to parking lights and it won't let me and when I sit under a bridge on a cloudy day sometimes it will turn on then right back off. How much control do you have over the older ones anybody?

Thanks,

Right next to the dash dimmer adjustment you will find the adjustment for the twilight sentintel. Adjust it all the way down. The sensor is in the center of the dash board. If it is covered up, it will not work.
If yours works, once you get used to it, you will not want to do without it.

If you get yours working, let me know how, i cant figure out for the life of me why mine wont work!!

Usually it's the ASIC chip inside the amplifier box which is located behind the glove box door, next to the radio right side.

New amplifier box is about $150.

Other possibilities are the photocell, rheostat control and wiring.

Your headlights turn off automatically as well. It's really cool because no one thinks cars this old can do that. Just one more way that this Buick Regal was ahead of its time....:D

Cadillac's had the T'Sentinel in the 60's. ;)

Memory seat in the 50's. :eek:

Not much really new on todays cars. ;)

The sensors on our cars are a bit unique in that the resistance range from light to dark is huge. Most commercial sensors won't go low enough resistance to turn on the lights. I had to replace mine. If your lights go on and stay on as soon as you click the sentinel on its probably the sensor. Unplug the sensor and the lights should go on, if not then its not the sensor. I had to put a 500W worklight straight into it to get the lights to go off. The GM sensor is not cheap but I love having the lights do their thing automatically. I have never touched the headlight switch since.

On my "86 WH1 The Sentinel turns the lights on no matter the time of day and the delay portion doesn't work. My system now works like daytime running lights that are on all the time?