You can type here any text you want

Twin turbo 4.1L 3Gen F-body????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

this idea is in the very embriotic stages right now so almost no details other than cheap 88 GTA and significant accumulation of 4.1L and twin turbo parts. Can it/Has it been done?

Thanks,

twin turbo

I don't know if it as been done with a six yet, but i saw an 8 cyclinder twin turbo 3 gen GTA:D

You see the 2003 caddy with the GN motor in it? That guy built a twin turbo 87 GTA with a SBC in it. The GTA was originally set up as a single turbo SBC. My buddy bought the GTA from the guy who built it and he told him the twin turbos was a mistake. He said it more than doubled the pain in the a$$ factor. Your project would go alot smoother with a single turbo, but a twin turbo set up would be cool.

Jason

Why? The headers are going to cost more than the car. Plus unless its a stage motor(20K+) , no reason except to show off.

But if its just going to be a money pit project, thats ok. We all have our vices, just never expect to recover more than 25% of what you'll put in.

I havent seen any twin v6's.. but have seen twin v8's. Actually Banks made a V8 kit for the third gens.

Careful with the pit.. it can be a monster

A comment on "Money Pits"

I wish I could say I've never owned a money pit....or two....or three....And, that I don't own two money pits right now. ;) But, I can't say that :o

Your dreams keep you sane. Or at least off the streets :)

Dream on :cool:

Leeburough

I remember a twin turbo stage 2 from Bristol in 2000, I forget the name of the guy who owned it(Joe Copson?? or something like that)but it had gone a best of 8.15 at that time. I also know it was scince sold but do not know who has it now.

Steve

Howdy,

Well this is generating some interesting discussion. Just to clear somethings up in this, I am going to put a twin turbo 4.1 into something, be it G, F or even early A body its going to go into something. I want to make the car carve corners in addition to being a straightline rocket. Finally around here every G-body in my price range is rusted all to hell however the F-bodys are almost a dime a dozen it seems, how about working 88 GTA for $900? Thats a car with the same stuff as a TTA, minus the badging, seats and v6 specific engine mounts, springs, and LC2 motor. I was thinking what are the stubling blocks in converting the GTA to a 600hp twin turbo buick v6 powered F-body. Things I can think of is rear end, transmission, and simply fitting stuff under the hood. Anything of driveline vunerabilities from experience with the TTA?

Thanks,

You want to build a road racer / drag racer car. Your budget doesnt allow you to start with a nice car, you want to do twin turbos and such...... HTH can you afford to build a car to meet your criteria if you cant afford to buy a decent body? :confused:

Your talking about spending more money on a set of twin turbo headers than on the car itself. Even if you tried to do a low budget hack job you will probably wind up with three times as much money in the car as you wanted. That really sucks because now you got good $$'s in it and you know its a hack job.

Drag race suspension and road race suspension is totally different set up. If you REALLY want both then one thing is universal and thats weight. Lighter cars are easier to accelerate and to get to change direction. A second gen RX7 is good handling chasis, light weight, areodynamic and more than a few have had GN drive trains put in them. I know of one for sale tfor $4500 and that already has a couple grand of hop up parts on it.

Jason

First off I'm building the headers myself, got acess to a TIG welder and friends that know how to use it (and teach me), hell I might be buying a full MIG setup this weekend for my own personal use. Secondly just about every G body I see here is either rusted or restored, doesn't make for much middle ground does it? They were family cars so people didn't spend the care on them like F-bodies saw alot of times, I'm not looking for a car thats perfect, I'm planning on practicing my body working skills on this thing but I'd rather not start with something that need almost every panel replaced. I'm a hobbiest when it comes to this stuff so I need something that is my baby that I do the work on, practice installing a fender, panel beating, interior work, exhauste fab, electrical..... this is my project to learn on and then to kick rice morons, mustang punks, and daddy's vette's proud little egos with. If I wanted to do something easy I would just build a GN clone in a monte or something, instead I want something unique and something that will challenge me to do the work on, not read the directions and put peg A into hole B or worse, pay shop AAA to do something. I know GTA's are solid foundations for good cars, stock stuff includes 4 discs, level 3 WS6 suspention, aero body, really nice interior, L98 TPI 350.... and thats just factory stuff, look through summit or jegs and what do you see stuff for? A-body, F-body and Fox body while the G and B bodies have a lot of good stuff for them its not nearly what the first three have. Suspentions that do it all, NASCAR, its not the suspention that kills those cars on the strip as much as the engine that makes all its power a 5000+ rpm and there have been plenty of F body corner carvers that run 10's in the quarter, I'm looking for street machine here, not full cage single digit track queen. Sorry for the rant but I figured I'd clear up my intentions with this project.

Thanks for reading,

Back