You can type here any text you want

Twin Turbo Sizing

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I'm building my junkyard bastard twin turbo setup and having consulted turbofast (If you have not seen it go to www.turbofast.com.au, I bought the expanded version) and it is telling me that for 24 psi I need to get the .63 A/R turbine, .60 A/R compressor T3, lucky for me that comes off of manual transmission Ford 2.3L I4's from the early 80s. However will I be able to run those turbo's on the street too or will the lag just be rediculous? Perhaps a better question would be what does it take to make a motor live on 24 psi of booste? Would I be better off just considering 16 psi and calling that good? I'm going to running the front 3 billet main caps, ARP studs top and bottom, cometic head gaskets, and speed pro hypers. I also plan on putting alky injection on this for race use only when I crank up the booste.

Thanks,

Pretty sure once you set up the alky right you won't need to change anything for street or race. Maybe run one of razors progressive kits. What intercooler are you going to run?

Adam

Howdy,

I was going to use a pair of Ford Probe intercoolers to cut down on plumbing and because of their design I was going to backset the radiator and put the IC inlets and outlets over the top of the radiator and fabricate the rest of the housing and supports so that the air still moved through all the front mounted cooling equipment. I was also going to run an oil cooler in one fender well and a tranny cooler in the other. I would have loved to use the huge Volvo IC but they are simply too big to fit 2 and I don't want to run all the air through only 1 IC.

Thanks,

It sounds like a really cool project!!:cool: I went to the website you listed, but didn't see any info on twin turbo parts for G-bodies or GM motors? Looks like that shop has their stuff together though. The IS300 conversion was QUALITY! Especially with fitting the 2 ECMs into one case. Too cool! With a properly set up alky kit and good intercooling I don't think 24 PSI would be too much problem at all. Just proper fuel and proper tuning. Maybe Razor has some more input though.

ADAM

The site is mainly as a turbo education site not as stuff for G-Bodies or even GM stuff. I bought thier turbo calculator, it does power estimates, turbosizing and compressor map matching to specific turbos in its database. It also will do injector sizing, drag ET, weight and tire calcs, and someother stuff. I love it especially since I always want to turbocharge anything I find so if I can find the stroke and bore, it will estimate power and then pick a turbo to match it. Check out the Turbo Calculators they have on the site and you can see what the free version of the program I bought does. What do you think is the limit of running a stock ECM with Ramcharger's extender chip, LS1 MAF with translator+ and the stock crank, block, heads, and rods is? I'm looking to max out the those components while still being durable. I hate speed density systems so I'm sticking to the stock system because no way I can afford a MOTEC or any of the other aftermarket Mass Air Flow systems.

Thanks,

As far as actual numbers go you'd have to let some other guys chime in, but that's basicly exactly what I run right now with a stock turbo, 38 lb injectors, powerstroke FMIC and Razors basic alky kit and I run around 22-23PSI on the street. Soon as race season starts up here again I should be able to give you some times and I am looking to get this thing on a dyno soon, but I've got a new turbo and injectors on the way so I'm gonna wait.

How did you get your stock turbo to do that much booste? I know I'm going to have to use the same tricks to convince my turbos to run that kind of booste. Also which is better Razor's or the SMC alky kit? Finally what would it take to build my own alky kit if I was so inclined?

I use an external wastegate on my setup, but it's not all that uncommon to have guys w/stock wastgates to run that level. I think it's mostly in the chip and adjustable wastegate. I prefer Razors kit 'cause it has the pump external not submerged in the tank and the controller is a lot smaller. I also like using a replacement overflow tank as the alky tank. Other than that I think SMCs kit is great quality too, lots of people use SMC. If you want to DIY look HERE .

Hope that helps.
ADAM

Back