Unknown Down Pipe need Catalytic Converter

Dan Roberts

Can anyone tell me what downpipe this test pipe comes off of? I think it is a Terry Houston Down Pipe. My problem is I have a Catalytic Converter that was bought at Kirban's, but it is about 5 1/2" too long (cat: 18" long and Test Pipe: 12.5"). Any suggestions on a cat that will fit? There are plenty of posts on this topic, but most are very old and I cant locate the companies.

I could possible hack this cat up and make it fit, but am looking for an easier solution. Live in Colorado and have to get it inspected. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4738.JPG
    IMG_4738.JPG
    412.1 KB · Views: 173
kirbans is meant to work with his pipe that works with the stock turbo elbo and keeps the stock converter length 18.5"
the houston pipe as well as many other 3" houston styled pipes don't run as tight a bend at the bottom for better flow which moveds the attachment point further back and needed a cat or test pipe thats around 14" give or take with the slip end that allows 1.5" slide over the downpipe
you may get lucky and find one posting in parts wanted .
you could cut the flange off your test pipe and cut the back end of the cat off the kirban setup (14" from tip) and then have them welded together , you might also need to take a little off the end of the downpipe

.otherwise buy another short 3" converter off ebay like whats on the kirban , a flange from rjcracing , cut one end off cat so its long enough to fit from your exhaust to slide over your down pipe and then have it welded to the flange

Last edited:
I had a cat made last Summer and with an ATR DP it was 17" from inlet to back of flange. Your DP must really extend far back.

I would try (a) removing the 2" section between the cat and the flared flange end - a shop that welds stainless could handle that for $50 or less, then (b) cut some off the DP and add some to the dump to make it equal to the new cat length - combined with the other job another $50 including pipe.

Buying another one sounds simple but you have to consider you'd need to weld the proper flange on it and it would need to be tapered on the outlet as well as 3" on the inlet. Not an off-the-shelf piece. Dave at Random Technology built mine. That cat with a 180 degree thermostat passed emissions in TN with flying colors.

fyi ..the taper does nothing and is not needed and it makes it more difficult to trim back what he has to what he needs

Why fight it, If possible I would bolt a stock D/P & cat just to get it through smog . Then do what ever you like afterwards