You can type here any text you want

Upgrade cam?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dmrtn9203

I've been on this long road of getting this 85 back on the road, and over the weekend I've torn down the front of the engine to replace the timing chain and gears, oil pump and water pump. This car has not been ran in over 15 years, but I'm wondering if while i'm in here, I should go ahead and upgrade the camshaft? I know it would be easier to just go ahead and do it while its apart, but not sure if i'll even see any benefit when the rest of the car is going to be stock with the exception of the 86/7 ecu and TT chip. The thing is, money is an issue. I will take as much time as I need and do it right, but funds are limited week by week being 21/single with a mortgage and car payment.

What would you guys do in this position?

If there isn't anything wrong with the cam or lifters then there's no need to remove them. Some others my agree with me, the stock cam will make crazy power. Basically if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If there isn't anything wrong with the cam or lifters then there's no need to remove them. Some others my agree with me, the stock cam will make crazy power. Basically if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's what I was hoping to hear, but I'm new to these turbo buicks and wasn't sure if the cam was a limiting factor on these engines. Car has 123k miles on it, and ran fine when parked other than intake gasket being bad, so i'm going to assume its fine

I'm relatively new to these cars as well, but after talking to some of the vets around here I was able to find out where to focus interests as far as my own build was concerned. Believe me there's an answer for any question about these cars somewhere on this forum and lots of knowledge. Good luck with your build :D

leave the stock cam in there its not limiting on your combo at all.

Back