You can type here any text you want

Upgrade suspension/handling question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rssooner

Hello All,

First, thank you in advance for your advise/input.

I have upgraded a lot of things to my GN (i.e. turbo, injectors, all the bolt on's, etc) The car should be a mid 11 second car. My question is: I have not done a thing to the suspension/handling except for a passenger side airbag.... so what is recommended for upgrades? What should the first priority be if I am not going to do everything at once? (shocks? springs?, upper/lower control arms? what?) Also, what brands on the following are recommended?

Again, thanks very much for the input.

First thing I would do is shocks. Bilsteins, Edelbrocks, and QA1 are good. KYB's if you're on a budget.

If all your rubber bushings are good, I'd go for springs next. Eibach, Suspension Techniques, and Intrax make lowering springs for G-bodys. Again, if you're on a budget, go hunting through a Moog catalog at your local parts store.

Rear suspension:
Box the lower trailing arms and add 1LE bushings. Go with some Edelbrock adjustable uppers, but, instead of using the poly bushings that come with them for the housing end, use 1LE rubber here too. Add a 1" sway bar from OPG and you're good.

Front suspension:
For G-bodies, SCandC.com has the best kit for the front (Stage 2) that includes adjustable upper control arm with solid greasable bushing (rubber extra cost) and taller upper and loxer ball joints from Howe. Use Del-A-Lum bushings in the lower arms (Moog Problem Solvers for budget) and you should be just waiting for the roads to get twisty.

I agree that you'd probably want shocks first. I did this on my car and it help eliminate a nasty wheel hop problem. I used KYB's, $120 for the whole set through P-S-T, but if I had to do it again I would go with a bilstien.

The Eibach springs seem pretty nice, I am looking at the pro kit myself to lower the car just a tad.

For the rear suspension, Full Throttle Speed is running a special on UMI tubular lowers, adjustable uppers, 1 5/8" sway bar, and a dual air bag kit for $500. Probably the best suspension package I've seen for price and quality.

Back