You can type here any text you want

Upgrade the injectors???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DaJoker

DUMB QUESTION MEMBER
My injectors are bad, should I look for bigger injectors or are the stock injectors good enough. No mods to the car yet but K+N, Chip and test pipe are in the works. That should be the extent of the mods(YEAH RIGHT-how many times has a TTA fan said that) :confused:

Kma697 said:
My injectors are bad, should I look for bigger injectors or are the stock injectors good enough. No mods to the car yet but K+N, Chip and test pipe are in the works. That should be the extent of the mods(YEAH RIGHT-how many times has a TTA fan said that) :confused:

I would upgrade to 36 lbs and then when you get the chip with the bigger injectors you can run more boost.

If you ever intend to run an alky/meth injection system the stock injectors are plenty. I ran 120 mph in the 1/4 with an old SMC alky kit and stock injectors and was barely pushing them. I then swithced to one of Razor's alky kits and was using MSD 50's. The duty cycle with the 50's was only 50%, that means they were only running about the size of a 25 pph injector; still less than stockers. If your intentions are to run just pump gas a 36pph injector wouldn't be a bad idea...especially if you intend to turn the boost up some. Now, if a larger turbo is in the future, and your NOT going to run an alky kit, a larger injector might not be a bad idea....this will save you the $$$ of having to upgrade to a larger unit later on down the road. Hope that helps.

All the newer injector designs are much superior to the stockers. IMHO, It's worth it for improved idle and driveability alone. Don't even waste your money cleaning them unless you are keeping the car perfectly stock for collectability/show. I loved the MSD-50's when I switched to them in my TR.

yeah it would kind of depend on what you plan on doing with the car. Like I told you in the PM I would look and see if it's just an oring on one of the injectors first. If you plan on upgrading turbos I would go with the 50s but if you're going to stay with a stock turbo the 36 lbs will be plenty. Do you have a certain ET that you would like to reach? That might also help us point you in a direction. But just to warn you it gets addicting so you may say you're gunna start small but after a couple years you'll change setups several times and you'll be going much faster than what you originally planned.

Well I am hoping to limit my mods to the chip, air filter and test pipe. But thats been said hundreds of times by people before. As for ET a 12 second pass would be nice(I have seen some signatures that claim 12's with a chip, good gas, drag radials and exhaust, so it should be possible). Thanks alot guys I will probably go with the 36's for now....you can always add on later...its only MONEY!!! :biggrin:

Go with 50's. You'll never need bigger, and they are "figured" out for these motors.

If you dont.. you'll remember my suggestion.

Razor said:
Go with 50's. You'll never need bigger, and they are "figured" out for these motors.

If you dont.. you'll remember my suggestion.

I really wish I would have gone with 50s now.

Does running a much larger injector than what is really needed affect the tuning abilities? I realize the duty cycle will be lower and so will the pulse width than if you were running the 36s.

To answer your question, yes and no.

See on the smaller Hi-impedance injectors its a non issue. When we start having problems is when the lo-impedance ones get used. These would be the 72's, 75's, 83's, 96's, 160's..etc.. typicaly on the lo-imp injectors the idle is what gets hit.. the larger the injector, the more issue it becomes. Hard to idle 160's at 800 rpms.. and then the computer plays a major role. There is no issue idling 75's or 83's with an aftermarket DFI.

As far as 36's, 009's, 50's, 60's.. they all will idle the same. I just have a preference with the 50's since their track record has been better getting figured out. In other words, they are plug n play with the corresponding chip.

HTH

50s

Hi ,
What happens with emissions, Razor? Is FLA a test state? Houston, TX is, and I want my car to be clean, as well as fast. I am running 009s now, don't know if I'll pass next time around. Of course, the TType will be exempt in a couple of years...

What do you think happens with emmissions running 20 year old injectors?

The 50's will calibrate just like the stockers. Contact Eric at Turbotweak for your emissions chip.

Still questioning me :cool:

The 50's will run better than stockers with a good chip. I was surprised how good the idle was. Some people will also burn an "emissions chip" that will raise the coolant temp, delay fan-on, raise idle, etc. I believe most tests require idle at 1,000 rpm or less, so you can raise it to there.

doesnt anyone like the 60Lb injectors i think there great on my gn and i plan to put them on my neww tta or i still have a set of 36's lying around i may put them first since i dont have to waste more money

I have the 60pph injectors on my tta. Run great with TT chip. smooth idle and no "tip in".

Jason

I think I still have a set of 42.5 Bosch injectors I think ramchargers said these are what the Ford Lightening's run

I had less than 500 miles on them when the drivetrain was pulled from the crappy GN I had

also have a street chip for these injectors

been sitting in a plastic bag for about 5 yrs

Back