You can type here any text you want

upgrading alternator

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DR BOOST

Technical advisor
i was thinking of getting one of the tbs.com 200 amp kits.

has anyone sucessfully run one of these. pros/cons?

thanks

surej

Not downing their kit at all, but just take it to a rebuild shop and ask them to upgrade it. The alt will look brand new when you get it back for around a $100. The shop I use gets me around 180 amps out of them, he said sure he could get a little more but I'd have spin the crap out of it to get there. So with that in mind make sure it's making power where you drive/rpm range, not just a wot blast.

For a little bit less money you can upgrade to the 140 Amp Alt that the 95/96 ss Impala uses. Direct bolt on and works great! If you are interested, use the search feature- I have posted the model numbers and prices for the parts that I used.

i have a champion a/c delete bracket . an impala ss alt doesnt fit with this

Does the A/C delete bracket let you use the stock alt? If it does, then the Impala alt should work too. I've never used one of those brackets so I don't know what it works with.

there is a threaded bolt hole in the back of the alternator. the hole on the imp alternator is in a different location. The champion bracket uses the hole for mounting.

there is a threaded bolt hole in the back of the alternator. the hole on the imp alternator is in a different location. The champion bracket uses the hole for mounting.

Surej, are you running that same champion bracket that i had? If so, an Impala alternator will work. Thats what I had on mine, so not sure what you mean by different location. You need to "clock" the alternator, thats what I had to do. Then your good. Just have a stock alternator next to you to compare the mounting locations.

Then put the A/C back on. It's a street car right?:p

yes it is....i drove it to the stereo shop today. there is 3 inches of snow outside and the ET street radials did great!!..

she likes it when i treat her rough.

Back