Uping performance of a non-turbo Regal?

StlRegal

I have a 84 Regal 3.8 carb and just wanting to get better performance out of it. Im not asking for any mircles but what are my options of maybe getting a few more HP out of it?

I am on a pretty tight budget and with emissions right now im not going to even bother trying to add a 350. (Only two more years to when it doesnt matter)

So what can I do to get me by for now?

I HOT RODDED a 3.8 NON TURBO once! I went to a salvage and bought a 4-barrel Q Jet intake manifold from a 4.1 Buick LeSabre. I used an adapter plate and put on an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb,10 inch OPEN element air cleaner, gutted the cat,installed a Accel super coil and module, and put in a cam kit. It ran really good but as far as emissions goes, I DON'T THINK IT WOULDA PASSED!!! I live in OKLA and around my area we don't worry about emissions! I think Edelbrock makes the above mentioned parts(intake,carb,and cam)for emission standards though!Performance Automotive Warehouse (PAW)has lots of 3.8 hop up stuff and chrome stuff too for CHEAP! The 4 barrel would REALLY wake it up, but then again so would the cam!

Making sure everything is running correctly and tuned goes a long way. I honestly wouldn't play with it too much, it probobly isn't worth modifying... thats what these dumb ricer kids dont get... their cars are pefectly acceptable until they go and do a bunch of stuff to them.

Just a thought though, it's your car so do what makes YOU happy and enjoy the hel out of it!

If you have strict emissions requirements its going to be tough you could do the simple stuff exhaust,air filter,The most important mod for a n/a regal is a gear swap I did this to my n/a regal years it really woke up since most have 2.41 gears switch to a 3.23 ratio.Go to the junkyard and find a 4-door 78-87 regal,cutlass or lemans they seem to have 3.08-3.23 gears don't know why?