You can type here any text you want

Upper control arm bump stop

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mikester

Hello guys. As you can see this my first post and I need advice ASAP. Im rebuilding the front end in my car. All of the bushings and balljoints are in. Im having a REAL hard time getting the rubber bump stops in though. I just ordered the third set from PST today. I tore one from the first pair trying to get it to go in. Last night it took me over an hour to get one in and by the time it was in the thing was pretty beat up. On the first attempt I tried using grease as a lubricant. The guys from PST told me to use liquid soap. Tried it, didnt work well. Ive got the thing in a vise so I can work from both sides. Im using pliers to pull and screwdrivers on the other side to push the tab through. This thing is getting the best of me. What the heck am I missing ? Is there an easier way ??? I spoke to the guys on PSTs tech support today and theyre checking that the company didnt sent them a batch made of a different compound rubber. This is crazy !!

I would try heating up the rubber cushion. Maybe under hot soapy water then give it a try. Sometimes I use a propane torch to heat metal up during the winter.

Dish soap and warm water works good if your talking about the upper arm stop.

Thanks for the replies guys. When you use the dish soap and warm water what else do you do ? Pull it with pliers from the top ? I tried to use a small screwdriver from the bottom to get the tabs through the slot but I wound up tearing the rubber up. I even shaved a little off of one thinking if it was narrower it would slip in. There isnt much room to play with as far as the fit.

Just thought I'd post an update on the problem I had. My buddy helped me put the bumpstops in. He used a pair of vise grips that were designed for sheet metal work with the wide end. It pulled the rubber tab without distorting it and with a little lube it popped right in. I felt a little stupid at that point but at least I know how to get it done now.

Back