You can type here any text you want

Use old valve springs to break in cam

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

85begalttype

just a v6
my friend told me that he read in Hot Rod magazines that it is more succesful to break in a cam when the old "softer" valve springs are used for the break in and then after replace the springs with the new ones.

what are your guys thoughts on this?

Valve springs

Waste of time. Pick the correct spring pressure initially, break in correctly and should be fine. Flat tappet cam=90-95 lbs.
Mitch

That is always a good way to "break-in" a camshaft, except for when the stock valve springs "stack" when used with a higher lift camshaft.
Stock Buick springs may only have 70-90 lb seat pressure but really skyrocket when compressed over .450-.460 lift.
I'll bet this is where many run into trouble with the V6, was a common mistake with big block chevy's as well.
It seems that many are overly concerned with seat pressure causing failed lobes, it is more likely the over 400 lbs when springs approach max lift.
Main problem is due to the relatively "short" installed height of factory heads, not many springs work with 1.7 height and high lift, need to cut spring pockets to run 1.84-1.86 height springs, much friendlier selection available.
Good luck.

Kevin.

Im going to install comp 206/206 with comp 980 springs. should i remove the inner springs on these when i break it it? or just slap it all back together and forget about it and use the proper oil and break in procedure?

CC 980 is not a dual-spring. It is a single spring with an inner dampener. Do not remove it.

just did a 208/208 i left the old springs on and will be replacing them soon:biggrin:

I'm puttng in an Erson 208/208 with 75lb springs from TA perf as I never float now, and I'll leave the cups on so with the new higher lift, they should work well without float and make the cam last a good long time. I'm installing with Zpaste and will use ZDDP in all oil changes. My stock cam has 65k on it with 45k in the last 4 years with nothing more than ZDDP and Amsoil and it's in great shape yet.

Back