You can type here any text you want

Vacuum conversion problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Steve87GN

Oh come on...its just a 6
Recently a buddy and I performed the vacuum conversion on my 87 GN. I bought a dual-diaphram booster, master cylinder, brake pedal and TTA vacuum block off of G-Body Parts (used I believe) and a TTA check-valve and 3/8" vacuum line from Kragen. I just had the system flushed when I got new tires on it today, but the pedal still is not firm. If I just push on the pedal, it gets close to the floor before the brakes start to respond well. If I pump twice, the brakes respond well about halfway down on the second pump. Any ideas on what this could be? Where should I start looking? Thanks a bunch in advance.

The fact that the brake pedal pumps up higher on the second pump means that you still have air in the system and you have to re-bleed the brake system. Also, adjust your rear brakes up closer to the drums.

Thanks for the reply Red. The system should be air-free from being flushed, shouldn't it? I can always take it back and have them do it again though.

One thing I did neglect to mention...I bought the parts about 2 yrs. ago and they sat for a while. The master cylinder was shipped dry and sat that way. Is it possible this has damaged a seal in the master cylinder and its causing this?

Thanks as always.

Flushing the system can Add air to the system if they are not careful, and let the master cylinder run dry. As for the parts sitting, anything is possible, but it sounds like air in the system. Good Luck !:cool:

Well gentleman, you were both right, there was air in the system. I took her back to the Firestone I had the flush done to be re-bled and now the pedal feels much better. My hat is off to you guys, thanks for correcting me :). Take care guys.

Back