Vacuum pump on a Turbo Regal?

1QWIK6

Torque wins
I think I have bad ring seal on my 5000 mile motor. Seems like excessive oil exiting the valve cover breathers. I have not checked for oil consumption yet.

ANYWAYS... I would like to put a electric vacuum pump system on my TR. I plan on using a 96 LT1 Emissions Air pump and hooking it to the valve cover. The pump would run all the time. I would mount the Air Pump so (driving) air would move across it and help keep the electric motor cool. Has anyone done this? Think this will work?

I saw one on Odell Cantrell's car this weekend. You might ask him. I think his nick is odell408?

Here we go............

I run an electric pump similiar to what you are talking about.

I use a check valve on the driver side valve cover that will let air escape when not under boost pressure. The moment you make boost, the valve shuts allowing NO air to escape the motor.

On the other side i use the same check valve only reversed. When the pass. side sees boost pressure it opens. This is the side that I have the pump connected to. I turn the pump on with an adjustable Hobbs switch ( set at 3lbs)

So here's how it works; When you drive on the street or at the track, the driver side "breathes" as normal but the other side is closed. the moment you make boost the driver side closes, and the pass. side opens. Then when the hobbs switch sees 3 lbs, the pump comes on and sucks on a tightly sealed up motor. The moment you let off the throttle everything goes back to normal.

I race and drive mine on the street and I have 0 oil leaks!

If you use a GM smog pump I have found out a couple of things.

1. Get the bracket that goes with the pump, this makes installation much easier. (it's a GM only piece)

2. A GM engineer told me that these pumps were designed to run like 20 or 30 seconds at start-up only. It might not last long if you run it all the time.

3. It's also a good idea to remove the piece of foam in the pump as well as the check valve that is inside the pump.

Good Luck.....Dwayne

YEAH!!!

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about!

Is it possible to get some digital pictures of the setup? I am curious of how it looks.

THANKS!!!!

not digital................

I could take a couple of pics, scan them, e-mail to you.......