Valve cover gaskets leaking ?

turbotaone

I replaced the headgaskets on my TTA and while I had the valve covers off I figured that I might as well replace the rubber gaskets with new ones,but now they both leak. Everytime that I start the car I smell oil burning and I can see oil seeping out under both valve covers. Is there a secret to getting the rubber valve cover gaskets to seal ?

Thanks
James

I had the same problem a few weeks ago after my cam install. 1st make sure the seam of the gasket is up in the valve cover, not on the sealing serface (my driverside was upside down) Next use a little rtv on the back corner of each valve cover to help it seal (they usually leak out he bottom by the firewall). The last think is on the driverside make sure that you do not over tighten the front bolt on the cover (it has a washer and a bracket that can cause it to over tighten) I had mine all tightened till they stopped. After doing that I could spin the washer on the middle bolt after it was all tight (thats why I say check the front bolt). Try this and see if it helps! Sealed mine right up:D

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to pull the valve covers off tomorrow and try some silicone on them and I'll also check and make sure that the gasket seem is facing up. If that doesn't work I'll try the cork gaskets.

James

Feltpro makes a new gasket that is a metal core combined with a silcone bead on both sides (PEP Boys sells this product). It stays in place even if you over torque the valve cover. Since I use solid lifters that need adjustment, this gasket has made life much easier. It is reusable and it seals very well but the cost is about $30.
Good Luck,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'll give PEP Boys a call. If that gasket seals it is definitely worth the $30,especially on a TTA, since those valve covers aren't that easy to get at.

James

Originally posted by Jeff Rand
Feltpro makes a new gasket that is a metal core combined with a silcone bead on both sides (PEP Boys sells this product). It stays in place even if you over torque the valve cover. Since I use solid lifters that need adjustment, this gasket has made life much easier. It is reusable and it seals very well but the cost is about $30.
Good Luck,
Jeff

Fel-Pro #VS-50156 "PermaDry Plus" . pretty cool design :) . work real well , a little on the $$ side ($27-$30 set) :) .they have to go on a certain way to the manifold and torqued to a certain spec (60 in/lbs-something like that ).