Valve Covers

Lockman

OH, OK .......Now I get it
I was given some ~ 4.5 in. high Offenhauser valve covers. What would be the Pro's & Con's of swapping out my OEM covers for these . The Oil fill / Breather would be under the Maf Hose & I 'd have to move the sensors / switch's & mounts forward. After that, I think They're Very Cool. :cool:

Yes Sir....Here they Is:
Offie 1.JPG

Offie 2.JPG

Sorry , I measured wrong. They are 3.75 " from flange to the topmost fins.

Just getting some shop time to install these kids ! Whats the best gasket and / or Sealant , that I should use ? I only want to do this once, for awhile anyway. :whistle:
Thanks for the advice,
Richie-----Lockman

Guess what...............The bolt holes on these aluminum offiy's are ~ 1/4" off, Port to Starboard ! :rolleyes: I 've reamed them to work & thinking of using Black high heat RTV & Cork. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Richie-------Lockman

Cork and just about any kind of glue to stick them to the valve covers.

Set them on the counter to dry with a weight on them. Snug the bolts down a little, let them sit over night and snug them again.

After a day or two snug them one last time and the cork will be married to the rough cast surface of the heads.

No Sir..... It's aThrust plate w/ Two Gaskets only. the red you see is rag lint that's been cleaned up......... BTW , The Valve cover leaks like no tomorrow . Coming off today :mad:

Did you glue the gasket to the valve cover?

And if you used cork gaskets, just snug the bolts down. Then do it again tomorrow. It takes a few torque cycles for the cork to take a set and melt to the heads.

Thanks for the support , earlbrown. I found Felpro #1600 Gasgets. Took off the cover, cleaned the head & cover like I was in Church , used Permatex Hightack, & let them set on a counter w/ weight , for two hours. Felt much better when setting them on & I torqued them down properly . Tommorow night I'll snug them again. I feel much better about this install. Here's hoping..............

Thanks for the support , earlbrown. I found Felpro #1600 Gasgets. Took off the cover, cleaned the head & cover like I was in Church , used Permatex Hightack, & let them set on a counter w/ weight , for two hours. Felt much better when setting them on & I torqued them down properly . Tommorow night I'll snug them again. I feel much better about this install. Here's hoping..............

Two snugs, and you're good to go. Once the cork marries to the head, they'll last for decades.

No LEAKS, earl brown . It helps a lot when one does things the correct way ! ...... Now an EGR problem. :(

Modern chips don't use EGR. Just block it off, use the ugly stock hold down bracket to hold down those leaky POS plates, and let it fly.

....or do like I did and put pipe plugs in those holes and it'll never leak again.

Thanks, Man..... I'm running the stock chip Though, & I 'd like to stay with it for awhile . Do you know of away that I could Block the EGR off on my ' 84 Hot Air ? I understand that my ECM looks for it, but It runs better with the vacuum off it , at Idle anyway. ?