You can type here any text you want

Valve seals???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1chance

Hi, my engine smokes on start ups. I notice that the valve seals which are Blue, were at the top of most of the valves, is this normal, and if not how do you get them to stay down???

No that's not normal. You could have a couple of problems. What most likely happened is that the seals came loose from the guide bosses and are now riding up and down with the valve. You may be able to get away with taking them off and squeezing/bending the tabs so they fit more snug. There's a post somewhere on here about how some have glued them down. But if you go to all that effort, may as well put a new set on.

If the seals don't stay on the guide there's a problem. They have a little clamp on them that holds them on the guide. Replace them,nothing fancy parts store Fel Pro's are good.

Now if the problem persits..most likey the problem is the exhaust guide. Had this problem on TurboPetes GN. I have built several motors with the stock stuff in the heads. With good luck. His motor smoked at start up only. Everthing was in spec.

The solution was to remove the heads,have the machine shop cut down the exhaust guides and install positive seals on the exhaust. You also have to change the valves to a TTA style exhaust valve. Problem solved.

The factory design was the issue. I have cars that don't smoke that are set up the stock way,but............next they come apart I will change them.

Back