Valve shim question - Push rod length question

Justa6MB

Hello, I've been trying to figure out why I'm gettin kr over 5600 rpm. Tom at Champion sent me some .060" valve shims to try to see if we can determine if it's harmonics or valve spring related. I can't get him on the phone and am trying to install them. He said to remove the steel seat and put the shim on the head and then put the spring seat back on top. However the seat won't fit over the valve guide? Also the shims do say "This side up" on them and they fit perfectly over the seat. Do you think it's ok? I also got a push rod length checker. I used a sharpie to paint the end of the valve stem, then reinstalled the push rods I have been running and adjustable roller rockers and set preload. I then spun the car over a few times. The wear pattern looks very good to me. It might not be exactly in the center on all - but very very very close. Close enough it was hard to identify. So basically I didn't even use the push rod checker. Am I missing something?
Thanks
Darren

Confused by your post...you say the shims wont fit over the guide but then you say the shim fits perfectly in the seat?

So you cant put them over the guide with or without the stem seals in place?

Have you verified your current springs install height?

And is it to what the springs are recommended to be installed at?

What style rocker arms are you running? (chevy style or buick)

If your wear pattern looks good then dont sweat that but if you have...say...T&D shaft mounted then there is a area that the adjuster has to be in to allow for lube through them internally so if the pushrods are too long or too short then you will be outside of this said adjustable region and pushrod length needs to change.

I order my pushrods to where I have preload on the lifter calcualated in teh pushrod length.
This gives me minimal adjustment down on my T&D's that away you have no worrys of being to deep and close to cutting off oil through rockers and your adjusters are in a area of no concern.

Hi, sorry about the confusion. From what I understood Tom to say is I need to (after removing the spring) remove the valve spring seat, put in the shim, then reinstall the valve seat and spring. The problem is the valve seat won't fit past the valve stem seal. The valve shim will however fit over the valve stem seal. So my 2nd question about the push rod length - yes the oiling part is what I was missing. I am running Scorpion roller rocker arms. I had been running 3/4 turn of preload, but was planning on backing that off to 1/4 turn based on Bison's comment on a previous related thread of mine.

pull it off with these
http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool-warehouse/KDT-419103.html
or a pair of long handle right angle needle nose pliers hooked under the seal and then toss it as pulling over the keeper groove on the valve will ruin it

i'm not a fan of the champion all teflon seals and have found quite a few smoke issues come back to bad seals or seals stuck to the valve stem
run the manley or comp steel case pc seals and use the protection sleeve when installing new ones to prevent damage from the keeper groove