Valve springs

dvernst

Does anyone know about how many hours it should take to do valve springs? My mechanic told me it took him about eleven hours. Does that sound right?

Eleven hours? What's he doing, pulling the heads to change the springs? :D Is he sighted? Have both fully functional limbs?
Your billfold will hope you find a quicker wrench. 2 - 3 hours TOPS, with "refreshment" break(s). Good Luck!

for someone with LC2 experience I would say about 2-3 hours. For someone with a good mechanical experience but no LC2 experience about 3-4 hours. 11 hours is way too long. All you have to do is remove the VC and the spark plugs and then insert the air line fitting into the plugs holes and use the SBC valve spring removal tool (I think that's the one that works). You don't have to take the heads off or anything it's pretty simple. I would be really pissed if they took my heads off to do a valve spring change. Sounds to me like they're trying to charge you the book hours for it.

He took the alternator off the fuel pressure regulator and all of the intake stuff. Now what do you think I should do? I have not picked up the car yet. I knew I should have just done them myself. :mad:

Wow... I'd have pulled the fuel pressure regulator, probably the alternator for a little extra room, but nothing on the intake. Boost solenoid, EGR relay, wiring loom on drivers side valve cover and other than the covers themselves, you're there. Unfortunately, if he has already started the job I would assume that you already agreed to his price, and will need to chalk this one up to experience. At 11 hours, he is way over even "Chilton" time though.

By intake I just meant the maf tube. He never quoted me a price. He said he wasn't sure how long it would take. I just can't believe it took eleven hours. I wonder if I should question him. Oh well I know better next time. Maybe if I mention something he will work something out with me.

Does anyone know how many book hours the valve springs call for? I want to know as much as I can about how long it should take before I pick up my car.

You've already answered your question. You know it's wayyyyy too long! I see you live not too far from me.

There's a couple of places around here that know these motors. The Chevy dealer on Golf in Schaumburg has a tech who owns a GN...

There's Speed Inc who has experience with these motors. And certainly enough to simply do a quick spring job.

There's also another that Julio recommended in the Chicago area (forget who though).

Someone who thinks it'd take that long is someone I want to hit with the wrench and certainly someone I don't want touching my car. Although he might be a great mechanic and all... just not the one to work on these motors. That's all.

By the way, book time is usually a bit high on most things. (way high on some, dead on for others...)

Go get your car.

Well I picked up the car. I ended up paying for 5 hours @ 65hr. Not the end of the world, But I also paid another ten hours to have him replace all of the bearings, and seals in the rear end. The reason I brought it to him was to fix the howling noise it had, and that's not even fixed.

Bring it over to add some blinker fluid, change the kneuter valve, and replace the three muffler bearings.

Hey at least you got your car back in one piece ;)

Yeah i've known the guy for a long time. He is actually in a lot of magazines. Jeff Schwartz is his name if you search his name on carcraft.com there is a few articles about him and his cars. I know he wasn't trying to rip me off, but he also obviously wasn't in any rush either. Oh well that's what I get. I should have at least done the valve springs myself. Oh once again what do you think is my best option for my rear end. I'm trying to find a ring gear, but if I can't what should I do? Thanks

Live with the howling. Install louder stereo/muffler is cheaper.

Well probably not this season but next i'll upgrade. The Moser setup looks nice, but i don't know which ratio to go with. I did find one set of used gears so far, but maybe I should just live with the noise. Razor you still run your stock rear don't you? Thanks