You can type here any text you want

Vette keeps taking it to me

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bchetGN

I have a completely stock '87 GN and a good friend of mine has a stock '90 Corvette with a nice exhuast system. Anyways I've raced him several times and each time it is always the same thing, he pulls away two car lengths off the start and I just don't have enough time to catch him. Does this sound wrong to anybody else? Im a little disapointed, either in my car or my driving.

Are you building boost from the start? If not you should be. Dont leave from idle. By the time you build boost, hes gone, especially if your car is stock.

Even better don't....

race a stock GN. Time for mods then fear the vette's, z28's whatever no more.:D :D :D :D :D :D

You said your car is bone stock. Is it up to snuff and tune?? Having a stock car is one thing, but if you have a weak fuel pump or bad sensors that's another...

i am building boost from the start but i can only build about 2 lbs. before my wheels start to slip. The weird thing though, even if I let my wheels spin a little before I launch to get a little more boost, when i release the brake my wheels stop spinning almost immediatly and dont slip again till it shifts into 2nd gear. Once my turbo really kicks in though i start to catch him.

And I have this guy who knows a real lot about GN's who tunes up my car and makes sure everything is running good. I just havent put any modifications in it, except for a street chip so that it would run a little bit smoother.

The single best bang for the buck for you would be to remove that 16 year old catalytic CLOGGER!

yea thats high on my list of things to do, as soon as I can get it registered as a classic car or whatever so I don't have to pass emissions tests

forget the cat!

If it is stock and untouched the first thing is the fuel pump and pickup sock and a hotwire kit. Then go for boke with whatever. Happy hunting

Originally posted by bchetGN
yea thats high on my list of things to do, as soon as I can get it registered as a classic car or whatever so I don't have to pass emissions tests
Why not do like most of us that have to deal with emmissions, install a test pipe for 364 days every year and the cat for the other day.

I couldn't believe what a difference it made to take mine off. Sounds much better too.

Lose the cat and bolt on an 9" k&N and lose at least .5 secs. That ought to show that pesky vette:D

Has your stock turbo been upgraded to an adjustable wastgate rod? IF NOT then that is a must. You can safely add about 3-5 lbs of boost. The stock unadjustable rod is set at about 13 lbs I believe.
But new hot wired fuel pump upgrade is a must as well as an adj fuel pressure regulator. THEN get a GOOD chip. K&N filter and decent exhaust. Great start

Terry

i remember when my car was bone factory stock (such a long time ago)...i remember racing a brand new (back in 97) mustang GT and my friend thought he was big crap in it...my stock GN walked his ass...then one day a paper plated stock camaro z28 in 98 (ls1) showed me some serious tailights...ever since that day i vowed to start modding because i knew cars were becoming faster than the GN...

anything newer than 1990 (performance car wise) will walk a STOCK GN...i mean they were only rated at 245 horse and ran low 14's normally (which back in the 80's was INSANE)

now everyone in a family econo car has about 240 horse or more and can run 14's...hell a turbo 4 cylinder neon is running high 13's low 14's right now!!! that tells you how much cars have changed since the creation of the GN...

one word for you stock guys that aren't seriously storing your cars... "MODS":D and don't stop...i don't want to see anything less than ta-49 turbo and blue top injectors;)

DON IS RIGHT

start modding and race gas but best scan master then some sticky tires and hand it to him

JOhnny

Ahhh, I remeber when my car was basically stock. Probably the biggest gain for the money was an exhaust system. That helped the cars top end more than anything. Get a fuel pump, a K&N filter, and order a Hooker exhaust system. Very easy to install and it comes with a test pipe!!!!!!

Originally posted by turbofrank
Bone stock don't race anything newer than 1985 for sure.

:confused:

I don't get it. Wasn't the GN the fastest production car made in '87?? That would be newer than '85...

You have come to the right place !!!
I had a 90 auto vette with no cat head pipes and a force II exhaust . fastchip and a k&n with modded air lid. the best that car would run was a 13.7 period ran it a ton of times and if it was between 60-90* out always a 13.7-13.8
so here is what you need to do.
- spring cleaning !!! $20.00 supplies
- replace fuel sock $2.89 napa
- walbro or reds xp pump $100.00
- hotiwire pump $10.00
- cut cat or test pipe free!!
- hard maf pipewith k&n cone filter $75.00
- hardware store wastegate rod mod $5.00
- old school thrasher chip. $20.00
- kirban soft rear brake shoes $35.00
- 1/2 tank of sunoco 94 $12.00
- adjust boost to 15-16lbs free!!

And thats it !!!!! for 279.89 + tax you can hand it to him all day long!!
heck bet 300.00 on your first race and get all your money back!!

when I first started out I had that exact setupi n my t-top car
I could run 13.0-13.2 on old ash bobs random tires.

Originally posted by Ken Mild
:confused:

I don't get it. Wasn't the GN the fastest production car made in '87?? That would be newer than '85...

don't race anything newer than 1990...that's when the GN was dethroned by the ZR1 Corvette as far as 1/4 mile times stock and 0-60

hell now everyone runs high 13's!:rolleyes:

you could always buy my car and laugh at new vettes and vipers etc.:D most of them around here know better though, after ya beat a few of them, word gets around.....

Back