You can type here any text you want

Vette Stingray hybrid?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbowannabe

Anyone know if anyone has transplanted a GN powerplant into a Corvette Stringray? That would be a badass swap and I would like to see pictures and info if anyone has done this. I'm just tooling around on the net looking at cars and have always love the stingrays, it would be a worthy hybrid in my opinion.

thanks
Dan

I noticed one in a 1970 Vette on ebay several months ago. I saved the pics but I now I have lost them. it was different to see that in a vette.

There is one in one of my many magazines. I'll have to fish it out. If I remember correctly it was nassau blue. I can't remember if it was in Turbo High Tech or Car Craft. I do know it's a few yrs old and I think the car ran like 13.10's out of tune. I'm thinking it was Car Craft's "Real Street Eliminator". I'll see if I can get you the issue info.

If you can get any more information or picture on the vette, that would be great. In my opinion(for what it is worth) I think the the stingrays are the best looking vette's out of the bunch. My heart is with buicks and I don't know much of anything about vettes, but it would be a badass swap. Get a semi-quiet but free flowing exhaust, and people wouldn't expect too much without the lopey V8 sound comming from it.

turbowannabe said:
If you can get any more information or picture on the vette, that would be great. In my opinion(for what it is worth) I think the the stingrays are the best looking vette's out of the bunch. My heart is with buicks and I don't know much of anything about vettes, but it would be a badass swap. Get a semi-quiet but free flowing exhaust, and people wouldn't expect too much without the lopey V8 sound comming from it.

Found it near the top of my collection. It's actually a January 1997 issue of Car Craft and the car was a red 71 Stingway. I thought it ran 13.10 and it actually ran 13.09 @ 103.92mph Here's a link to a couple of pics of my mag.

Car Craft cover

Hybrid Stingray link

GDNF2ET said:
I have wondered how much the 70's vettes weigh... Anyone have an idea ?

Looks like it's in the 3,200lbs range with the LT-1. The car in Car Craft had DFI that wasn't dialed in. I wonder what it ended up running in the end.

Dave

I am doing a 63 split window very soon :eek: ... well after my stage2 TTA is done :eek:

61 vette swap maybe

Hey Grumpy,

If you are really thinking about it pm back. i have a good friend who wants me to do his engine work we were talking lt1 or ls1 but maybe i can talk him into a quiet?? :rolleyes: hahaha. It doesn't have the original engine or tranny anymore and was just giving to him so he has been slowly putting it back to shape. I will talk to him this weekend about it HMMM?? Cheaper and fast HMMM?? I did a 62 Nova 2 years ago probably the first one and that thing FLEW!!! This would even be better!!!!
Jerry

owned many, have a 61 tucked away
did a few restorations and some customs, Ive had 69, 71, 76 and 78
the big thing with the C3's is knowing how to rebuild the trailing arms...but it would be cool swap...plenty of room

Damn, almost 3 years now and this thread has been brought back up. I would still like to do this swap. Stingrays are the sh**, second to buicks.

61 vette swap

Hey Gang,

I will measure the crossmemeber to hood clearence, the firewall to crossmember clearence, the motor mounts to hood clearence, and report back after I see car. I will now that i think of it measure from motor mounts to radiator support and also see if there is room for a front mount or not?? I think this might be perfect swap for this guy. He wants to enjoy driving the car and doesn't want a rumpit rumpit cam sound but nice smooth power. His wife drives a 04 ZO6 and i can't see her wanting to pump the gas peddle to start it every time on this old Vette with a mild 350 in it :rolleyes: Plus the wiring on the Buick swap i have down :D
Jerry

never heard of it.. i might ask my friend who used to be familiar with it. :wink:

I am doing a 63 split window very soon :eek: ... well after my stage2 TTA is done :eek:

A 63', you lucky SOB, my dad had one a couple of years ago. He sold it because the frame was rotting, if he would have spent 10K on it he could of got 70 for it, I still ask him why he didnt put another frame under it. That would be a badass swap, and tell people it was all original with matching numbers too:eek:

As far as a C3 would go... LC2 would fit with plenty of room.
you could even run the DP over the frame and out the Gill...muhahaha

A C1 would need a diff frame like an SR3 due to the C1 frame uses a front plate for the motor mount and that plate attaches to the front of the block.

ive built both c1 and c3...if you can find a c3 without a rotted bird cage..but even the worst vettes buried in the weeds behind a barn seem to garner visions of top dollar in the owners eyes and really not worth the weeds their buried in, so that can make the search difficult.

I found the C1 inside a barn in milk crates

If asked though, I would say you could prolly pick up an 84 c4 for dirt cheap...the 84's were a nightmare due to transitional technology, evolutionary technology and revolutionary technology all rolled up into one crappy package, they squeaked, they creaked and it was like grimlins lived under the dashboard.

Some folks might have had good luck with an 84 but most ive talked to said poopoo

Split window prices.. My rod shop bud is doing a modified car, for a "richie"...
They paid $26K for it, in a pile.

Daddy warbucks is..

Exactly, the 61 like i mentioned was in milk crates and once the inventory was done to make sure all the parts were there.... 18k

footing the bill on the build... As of about 6 weeks ago, on the far side of $125K, and counting!:eek:
And, it's FUGLY!!!:frown:

ours was $3500 and yes it's still sitting here along with a parts car to do the conversion :rolleyes: :eek:

Back