You can type here any text you want

VP Racing Fuels

• Thread starter Thread starter stevec
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
S

stevec

Has anybody tried VP NOS or C-21 racing fuels in turbo 6??
NOS has 120 plus octane and C-21 has around 119 I think. Both are designed for NOS motors. I have been using C-16 exclusively.

I seem to get a small amount of detonation evidence on the plugs but never melt pistons, pop head gaskets etc. at 26 plus boost run 19 degrees timing 11.4 AF.

I believe this small amount of detonation is normal running these motors at 26 plus psi and making over 800 hp.

Thanks Steve

We have tried the 76 prostock 118 in a twin turbo stage 2.
I think the stuff was orange. It made the trip to the track a waste of time because of the tunning involved to get it to work.

If you are knocking on a safe tune up like yours I would look
some where else for the problem and keep the c-16.

You should be able to run at least 24 degrees unless you have a 9.5 to 10-1 compression motor. Some are going with 28 degrees.
I would rather run Mild timming around 24 and turn the boost up to 30psi.

I believe Dave England tried the C-23 at the NATS and liked to results. Maybe he will provide some input. I've been wanting to try it also but then again I've been also wanting to get my car down the track w/o breaking something!!
Chris Lyons

I only use C16 but i think im going to try the air race fuel that VP makes. Its made for turbo charged airplanes and ive heard good thing about it but i believe it $11.00 a gallon. I think thats what Jason Cramer uses..

Originally posted by stevec
Has anybody tried VP NOS or C-21 racing fuels in turbo 6??
NOS has 120 plus octane and C-21 has around 119 I think. Both are designed for NOS motors. I have been using C-16 exclusively.

I seem to get a small amount of detonation evidence on the plugs but never melt pistons, pop head gaskets etc. at 26 plus boost run 19 degrees timing 11.4 AF.

I believe this small amount of detonation is normal running these motors at 26 plus psi and making over 800 hp.

Thanks Steve

I am running 28psi and 26 degrees of advance and 11.8 A/F at WOT with C-16 and no evidence of detonation.

Maybe you got some bad gas? Do you buy it in the drum or by the Gallon?

I buy it buy the drum. My car is quite heavy 3780 and has 3.23 gears with 26" DRso it has alot of load on it.

Are you examing your plugs with a magnifier?? This is the only way to see any sing of detonation.

I have never burned a piston and the EGTS are around 1680 1" off the header.

Thanks Steve

Steve, are you seeing peppering or aluminum transfer ?

I had a set of Champion aluminums with CNC'd chambers. Had random aluminum on the plug ceramics. Ceramic coloring was showing a safe rich.

After tearing the motor down, I'm pretty sure the aluminum was from the "peaks" of the CNC cuts. Pistons were good, rod bearings good. CNC ridges were smoothed off.

VP Fuels

I am seeing a small amount of aluminum tranfser ( tiny balls). I have seen peppering in the past.

Steve C

That makes me feel better about blending the cutter lines in the chamber of my GN1 heads. I thought it might be a waste of time but now im glad i did it:)

Turbocharged airplanes run 100LL aviation gas. The only other thing airplanes run (commonly) is Jet-A, which is for turbo-prop or turbo-jet engines. C-16 is leaded just like 100LL, but C-16 has MUCH more octane, and is a better race fuel.

I don't know why people always thing airplanes run this high-octane fuel. :rolleyes:

Are you sure that the planes that race at the Reno air races use 110 low lead :confused: Im pretty sure they run exotic fuels..
I know the everyday planes run the pump (110 LL)gas but the race plane run the good stuff:) I know for a fact VP make a airplane racing fuel:D

It's 100LL, not 110, and they DO have some fuels that are special for the reno race planes. They weren't mentioned however, turbo planes were. I owned a Turbo Centurion for 6 years, and after 11,000 hrs PIC, I learned a little about planes, flying, and how not to kill yourself in the air. :D

Most General Aviation planes run 100LL (80/87 isn't around like it used to be) and contrary to it's name, it actually has a very high lead content.

General aviation planes for the most part don't have to make a lot of power, but they do make a higher percentage of power continuous. (show me a car engine that can handle 70-75% continuous power for any length of time, much less hours on end)
Our engines make stupid power, but for brief spurts. This is why they are made with such exacting tolerances, and why some very powerful engines are de-rated to make less power so they can live longer.

We are talking about VP gas in this thread :rolleyes: I didnt figure it had to be mentioned again however..I did state that in the post i made that you gave me the :rolleyes: and i dont know why people BS. I guess i didnt like that

VP AIR RACE
Exclusive fuel for Reno Unlimited Air Racers. Also used in high-boost turbocharged applications. Highest octane fuel VP produces.

• Color: Blue
• Leaded
• Aromatic Hydrocarbon Content: 5% Manganese: .2 grams /gallon (2/10ths)
• Lean Knock F-3 (Method: 120.3)
• Rich Knock F-4 (Method: 157.2)
• Specific Gravity: .710 at 60° F

Back