You can type here any text you want

Wacky headlights

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GregInAtl

OK.... I was wanting to change my headlights out, they are dingy and look like they have had water in them at some point. SO I pull them out, and they are Cibie lights. (like was popular for off road in the 80s) I notice the harness to each light has no loom, or coating and track back to a block of relays that doesnt look OEM at all (and each standard beam has an extension on it). I also have a ratty 10 ga power wire tapped to the battery to fuel the relays.
Has anyone ever seen this before? I want to undo all the clutter and 80s BS, but I have no clue what should be here.
Also, is the harness ground beside the battery where it grounds to the inner fender?

Attachments

• re1.jpg
    re1.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 271
  • re2.jpg
    re2.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 271
  • re3.jpg
    re3.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 265
DIY Headlight bright set-up----someone was trying to make the headlight BRIGHTER.
Remove all and get a set if HIDs or give Casper Electronic's a call for a Plug-n-play wiring harness for the light.

DIY Headlight bright set-up----someone was trying to make the headlight BRIGHTER.
Remove all and get a set if HIDs or give Casper Electronic's a call for a Plug-n-play wiring harness for the light.

That what I figured, a red neck "hot wire" head light kit. If I remove all this BS, shouldnt the "trigger" wire for the relay and the OEM light wire from relay to bulb harness both be on the relay and just connect them back?! I'd think they just split the wire and then ran a larger power and ground.
Also my turn signals blink the headlights. I posted that a while back and was told to check the ground by the bumper. Is that the ground by the battery or is there another one?
Finally, I have no clue what hedlight was OEM, dont the extensions appear to be H4 conversions? It is a separate bulb inside these Cibie light housings.

That what I figured, a red neck "hot wire" head light kit. If I remove all this BS, shouldnt the "trigger" wire for the relay and the OEM light wire from relay to bulb harness both be on the relay and just connect them back?! I'd think they just split the wire and then ran a larger power and ground.
Also my turn signals blink the headlights. I posted that a while back and was told to check the ground by the bumper. Is that the ground by the battery or is there another one?
Finally, I have no clue what hedlight was OEM, dont the extensions appear to be H4 conversions? It is a separate bulb inside these Cibie light housings.
I "think" you are on the right track.......
try this link: Wiring Diagrams

Can anyone tell me who makes a housing for our cars for the H4 low beams and H1 high beams w/o e-bay? (maybe part #?!)I wanna pick em up at lunch today.
OR...
Should I just get OEM replacement Silverstars vs getting H4/H1 housings and silverstars
GC

Probably an H4 and H1 setup.

Cibie and Hella make the housings, $$$ , some speed shops carry them, but probably have to order the older sizes that fit our cars.

Ebay is probably the easiest to find them.

How bad are the original housings? Any pics?

The housings are ok as far as the lenses, the issue is the backside where the metal meets the glass, the sealant has let rust in, so it looks like muddy water on the bottoms....and it wont clean off, its actually thru the sealant into the inside of the light.
Any idea of the part # I am looking for? Hella doesnt list them on their site any longer. I have also googled my butt off looking for 4656 H4 conversion, and 4651 H1 conversion

I'd measure a headlight in MM's before you call or order however.

I put mine in 15 years ago and they were given to me and I knew they were gonna fit. :cool:

It is a standard rectangular size just not sure I linked it above properly.

SalvageV6, you are the man, THANK YOU for the leg work, now my car will have clean clear vision again!

They are the 165mm housings well width wise anyways. :cool:

About 105-110 height wise.

Stern and Susquehanna have been doing these things for years, reputable companies in my book. :)

Good luck. :cool:

I went with H4's - much better/brighter than stock and easy bulb replacement now as well. My main motivation for the swap was actually easy bulb replacement as it's a bit of a pain with the SS nose.

This pic was before the harness upgrade, so they are even brighter now:
100_0663bJPG_Thumbnail1.jpg

The housings look much nicer with the lights off as well:
100_1177jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

...I made one mistake though - the bulbs I got had a faint blue tint to them. I didn't think it would be noticable... and it isn't unless you see the car head on:
100_1222jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

Summit sells the wire upgrade kits which makes it plug and play. Some get away with factory wiring, but I wouldn't push it on 20+ year old wires. On mine the circuit breaker in the headlight switch started tripping with the brights on. The following site shows the difference in the pinouts, but it seems to be down at the moment:
http://www.rallylights.com/other/headlamp.htm

The housings I bought at a local parts store and are basically the same as the ones on ebay, but without the little blue "city light", which I didn't want. I got the harness off ebay, but here's an identical one at summit:
Matrix 01-133 - Matrix Upgrade Wiring Harnesses - summitracing.com

I already have the H4/H1 set up, but finding housings locally has been the issue. What parts store did you find housings at for the monte? I have the harness' and bulbs that are all good to use again, and a "hot wire" kit w/ relay for the upgrade which I am going to redo w/ better wire.

I used the same housing on all four lights - the local store (Automotive Warehouse) I bought mine at only sold the one style housing.

Back