You can type here any text you want

Want 11.50's

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gus_Mahn

Hello gang,

I have TTA that I've had parked for a few years. It's time to start playing again. The car has run a best of 12.46 @ 109.5 on comp TA's, 1.90 60'. It has the most basic bolt on's (20 psi Lubrant chip, t-stat, test pipe). It also has a minor stall with shift kit installed since the trans shifted like crap when the car was new. I've added an ATR exhaust since the last time the car was run.

I'd like to get the car to run in the 11.50's and hopefully trap at 120 mph. What do I need to do? The car is a driver with about 45,000 miles. I'd like to keep the street driveability as good/better than stock. How strong are the stock 9 bolts? Anything I need to do to it?

Thank You

You'll go faster with more mph on the stock rear end than a 9". Almost every TTA I've ever heard of running in the 11's still runs the stock rear except for me. There have been a couple of guys who tore up the stock rear but not to many.
You want mph or ET? They do not go hand in hand. I went 11.98@110 mph and I have gone 11.89@119 mph this year. MPH at the end of the track will widdle down your ET, but hard launches will knock the crap out of it. I Look at the 60' time and the 1/8th mile mph and time a whole lot more than I look at the 1/4 mph. A loose convertor will help you 60' good but will hurt your top end mph, ESPECIALLY if you have to shift into OD. A few guys launch good with the stock convertors. Guys who are able to 60' hard with a stock convertor have a solid advantage over the high stall guys once there under way. Looking at your times you could probably go 12 teens with your stock convertor and better 60's.
You said 20 psi of boost. Put an alky kit on the car or put some race fuel in and go up a few pounds on the boost. If your running a stock turbo you wont have as much luck turning up the boost as you would if you had an upgraded turbo. If you want 11.50's and 120mph then upgrading from a stock turbo would be high on my list. A TE44 or a TA49 have probably out sold most other turbos (just a guess) The damn things just seam to drive real nice on the street and probably work just a nice on a 13 sec car as they do an 11 sec car. Any one whos ever looked hard at compressor maps would see why. Turbo venders how ever try to act like turbos are very horse power specific. That way they can get people to change them as often as a pair of socks and collect the $$'s. Any way you should run an upgraded turbo, good fuel or alky, and more boost. This will lower your times at all points down the track and add some mph too. Through in alot better 60's like 1.5's or 1.6's and you'll start getting alot closer to your goals. After that just look for whats holding your car back and go from there.

HTH: Jason

Thanks for the reply. I want 120 mph. I understand the relation ship between ET (traction) and MPH (H.P.). I want to be able to run 11.50's on Drag Radials or Nitto's, and I figure 120mph should get me there. I'd love to add alcohol and run my race trim on the street. I'm still researching tubos and fuel injectors. What size injectors do you think will do it for me?

Jason where is your home track? I'd love to come down and check out your car, and talk TTA's. I live NW Indiana near Chicago.

You can go 11.50 EASY at 115 mph w/o having to do a crazy launch. 120 will make it easier especially if it mph's good in the 1/8th. The best way to run an 11.50 is to 1/8th mile in the 7.40's.

The big end of the track just doent pay off much at all. I went 11.32@112.4 last sunday w/ a 1.593 sixty. I lifted d/t throwing the car into neutral. I thought I had the shifter in drive but it was really in OD :rolleyes: So lifting and coasting the last 200 feet or so really didnt hurt me that much. I did make one little mess around run with the nitrous. I launched really crappy and pulled a 1.928 sixty. I ran a 12.58@115.4 on that run. I charged pretty hard the 2nd half of the track picking up 26 mph!(I usually only pick up 21 to 23) Too late the damage was already done! I had run a 8.28 1/8th mile. To turn that run around and beat the 11.32 coasting run guess how many mph I would have had to average on the second half of the track?

152 MPH AVERAGE! not be up to 152 mph but to average 152 mph the second half of the track.

I was stuck before running high mph for my ET's. It will not make you happy. You get tired of saying "I only ran an XX but I ran blah blah mph!" In fact it kind of makes you feel like you dont know how to set up or drag race your car. Now when you start pulling good 60's and laying down good 1/8th mile times your 1/4 ets will fall right into place with or w/o BIG mph at the end of the track. You'll have the ET's and you'll know your doing a good job setting up and racing your car. You'll also find your self staring at the 60' and 1/8th mile times trying to figure how to squeeze some more out so that the 1/4 et meets your goal.

got to go wife wants the pc :( I'll give you my opinion on turbos and stuff later

I picked up 5 mph in both the 1/8 and 1/4 mile with the addition of just a TE44. I went 120 mph with alky and 92 pump, stock injectors, TE44, 2.5" ATR DP with stock elbow, stock IC, Walbro 340m, stock exhaust, and Nittos. The 120 mph pass was at 25 psi in all gears and an EGT of 1617º....it can be done easily with a GOOD state of tune!

Gus the last time out I went to U.S 41 in Moroco IN. I usually like to go to Cordova IL but I really dont race much.

Speed parts suck. No one agrees on any thing except maybe a K&N filter and good fuel pump. I would say a nice injector is MSD 50's lots of guys run good with them and I may thrown mine back in. 42.5's are nice but alot of peeps dont like them. TE44 is a great turbo and its bigger than the name sounds. One part of the compressor blades is 44mm but the other part is like 58mm( a TE60 is only 2mm bigger which is less than 1/12 of an inch). I think its the part of the blades that you see is small but up inside the housing it gets bigger. I think in general every single turbo made for our cars has run hard for some one some where. I personaly like big shaft turbos because they should last longer. A little lag is good on the street anyway. To much boost to soon just fries the crap out of your tires any ways. I personally run a T63E. If I had it to do all over agian I would have bought a T63-1 because it has a bigger compressor housing and looks cool. Jack Cotton keeps trying to sell me a 66 turbo. I think Jack is one crazy dude which is probably why I like him. Give him a crack at being your main parts guy.

p.s: My cars a turd! It looks like crap. Some day I'll try to make her pretty. The day I do that she'll probably spit out a head gasket just to spite me.

Back