Warning::Ace Hardware Denatured Alki

• Thread starter AsphaltAnihil8r
  • Start date
A

AsphaltAnihil8r

I bought 2-one Gallon cans of Denatured from Ace Hardware,and while filling my SMC container I noticed that the smell was not the same,this can smelled kind of soapy,unlike the denatured smell,just thought that I would pass this on ,Maybe the bandits that put their old oil in the Mobile Synthetic bottles have expanded their operation,and getting their $8.88 a gallon back on the alki cans.
HTH
Dennis

Originally posted by AsphaltAnihil8r
I bought 2-one Gallon cans of Denatured from Ace Hardware,and while filling my SMC container I noticed that the smell was not the same,this can smelled kind of soapy,unlike the denatured smell,just thought that I would pass this on ,Maybe the bandits that put their old oil in the Mobile Synthetic bottles have expanded their operation,and getting their $8.88 a gallon back on the alki cans.
HTH
Dennis
Did it say 100% pure denatured alcohol or something like denatured alcohol thinner or something of the like? Sorry I can't remember EXACTLY what the wrong bottle said.

The local Sherwin Williams store has something like that and it is NOT the correct stuff!!

I wondered about this, too....

Home Depot sells stuff called "A-I Denatured Alcohol" (I'm not sure what the first two letters are, but I think they're an A and an I). It says it can be used for thinning, stripping, etc. and as a fuel for alcohol stoves. Nowhere, though, did it say 100% pure denatured alcohol. But, I ASSumed that if you can burn it in an alcohol stove, it must be pure alcohol. I didn't buy it, but I'm wondering if it's the right stuff. It's $8.88 a gallon, too.

Jim

The stuff I buy from Home Depot is called "SLX Denatured Alcohol"

is that the one in the Blue and orange container? if it is thats the one i get too.

Okay - so my memory failed me. It is indeed the SLX - in the blue and white container. So I guess it's okay?

Just bought some Parks brand Pure Denatured Alcohol. Says the same thing about thinning and being used for stoves etc..

I have good results with this stuff so I guess this is correct.

you can tell by the 'sweet' smell. That oddball Ace brand turns up from time to time. Otherwise the stuff is the same as everywhere else. Just use the sniff test. Dman, you've been smelling my exhaust enough to know !!!