You can type here any text you want

Wasted a 5.Slow

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DynamicGN

Gainesville is small college town and chances are if you see a car you'll probly see it again. Whenever I saw this real nice blue 5.0 mustang with a custom hood, nice rims and fat tires, gauges everywhere, and chrome roll cage inside the car, I would always be in my friends prelude(we switch rides to class so i dont have to put so many miles on the GN). Anyways, the prelude wouldnt be much of a match for an intimidating 5.0...Well one day when I was in my GN coming for from school with my car pooling friend we spot the mean 5.0...He follows me right on my bumper onto the interstate. I notice i have an empty tank of gas, I gunned it anyways. My car started backfiring, bogging out, and knocking like crazy and sure enough the stang passed me. We signaled him to slow down and go again, same thing happened...He started laughing at me thinking he had his kill, so I told him to get off on the next exit and go to the first gas station. As I'm pumping gas he is standing with a grin on his face by his car. He asked me if my car is stick shift, i say no its just an automatic(thinking to myself that this kid doesnt know anything about GN's)well We line up on an open 2 lane road my friend signals 1-2-3 and we go...he jumped the gun so i had no boost off the line and he toook a 1 car lead. As soon as the turbo kicked in i flew by him, up by 2 cars and only going about 60 I stopped and waited for him to go again...This time i went out rolling at 5mph with 5 pounds of boost and immediately took him, i kept pulling then decided to stop after an 8 car lead only going about 80 mph...we did it again and same thing...after the race he asked me if i had a 350...I was like nope just a 6...and then i asked him if he knew what a grandnational was and he said he had never heard of them...I grinned and said well now u know. And that was that. I'll never forget his face when I told him it was only a 6.

Good job
Though you will be looking for a new fuel pump and headgaskets soon if you routinely let it get that low on gas.
Im curious if he had no clue what a GN was how did he know you were fast. Must have thought he was picking on a poor Monte SS

I dont think he knew i was fast...he probly thought he had an easy kill...I'm guessing the sticker on the side of my car (Hartline Performance) made him want to race me. As for the low fuel thing..I will never do that again, i just wasnt paying attention to my fuel until i raced him and i couldnt pass it up.

Gotta love it

Dynamic,

Good kill dude, the guy had the nerve to flash that lil cha-grin @ the station...I'd been pissed off but the ole granny made you look really good once u gave her a cold drink...:D
Hey listen I've wasted stangs before but good thing is though they keep my ole granny fresh and healthy and not to mention busy....

Goals: Hope to run low 12's w/110 gas and boost cranked up to 23 or 24 PSI's on stock Turbo & Intercooler...Never opened..We'll see....

Todd

Re: Gotta love it

Originally posted by toddmingnworld

Hey listen I've wasted stangs before but good thing is though they keep my ole granny fresh and healthy and not to mention busy....

Todd [/B]

Good point Todd...If it wasn't for those mustangs, what would motivate us to be faster? I guess those "8 second" supras!;)

The main mods that I have are JE Pistons, Port and polish, Champion Iron ported heads with intake, red stripe injectors, PTE 53, Comp Cam 206/206, Killer Street Tranny from performance transmissions, CAS V4(I didnt have this IC when I raced him), HKS SSQV BOV, 3 inch test pipe for catalytic, Flowmaster Exhaust 2 1/2(I want to change this to something better.) 3 inch down pipe, Cold Air intake kit, Chip and all engine work done by Cal Hartline, I'm probly forgetting a few more things. I was only able to race the mustang wih 14 psi because i had the stock intercooler at the time. I went to the track once on bald street tires and 116 octane(bad move), the christmas tree and timers at the track were down for the day so it was just an old style drag race... all i did was peel out, so i just cruised to the finish. I bought BFG Drag Radials last week but havent ran it yet... Cal said with slicks, 116, and boost turned up it should be in the late 10's...But i havent been able to prove that yet either :) I will visit the track soon, hoping for somewhere in the 11's with drag radials.

Sweet!

Dynamic,

Sweet mod's man, once your combo is all in place and everything is all sorted out they'll be alot of cars scared to see you the street and the track ya know. Great set-up!! Well as far as mine I have a few things done..

Stock Turbo, Stock Intercooler, 3 inch THDP, ATR Stainless Steel Pit-bull Exhaust, Red's Fuel Pump, 93 Street Chip, 42.5 IB Hr Injectors, Passenger & Driver Side Airbags, Pinion Snubber, Performance Built Tranny w/2800 Stall Red Stripe Converter, Volt Booster, Modified Throttle Body, Cold Air System w/K&N Filtration, Boost, Oil, Temp & Fuel Pressure Gauges, Stock Appearing Hemco Plenum...

Above completed yet to go is a rear brace kit, Suspension work and lower body bushing. I am hoping the Mods to this point will propel me into the Mid 12's and once my TE-44 goes on and and the boost cranked up maybe I'll hit 11's next summer...

Todd

Todd, Great set-up...yea once you put that turbo in there you will notice a big difference. Then the intercooler. Hey are you satisfied with your fuel pump? I am looking into buying a new one since my ATR one is pretty old. What do you think? Alot of guys use Walbro 340 Hotwired. I wanted to get some feedback from someone with something different. And do you have the dual exhaust or single shot. How is that working for you? Also, what fuel pressure gauge do you have? I can't seem to find a good one to mount inside the car. Are you gonna go with the bilstein shocks for suspension? Let me know thanx.

It doesn't get any better.

Your from Miami, Your a Gator, and you drive a GN?

Dude, you are living my dream.

I had to settle for FIU. :(

Great Kill.

Dynamic,

Thanks, I'm currently running a dual exhaust (ATR) and as regards the fuel pump I'm running an XP Fuel Pump. From what I heard the Walbro is pretty good but I opted for the XP for my street application. My Fuel pressure gauge is mounted inside the engine capartment..(Thats all I know:rolleyes:)..The suspension is up for discussion, I really haven't done enough research to say what I'll go with...What do you reccommend as street and driveability issues are @ stake for me. Did I say that I also have the GNX-GTA style wheels...Not an performance enhancer but they do look good...:D

Be cool,

Todd

Did this car happen to have a pony etched in the quarter panel? If so that would be a pretty good kill. If that isn't the car then i have never seen the one you described before. I don't see too many GN's in town but if you ever see a black coupe that looks stock(because it is) that would be me. I drive a lot around University near the stadium.
My car happens to be pictured here: Find the BlackCoupe

driveability....

Originally posted by toddmingnworld
Dynamic,

.The suspension is up for discussion, I really haven't done enough research to say what I'll go with...What do you reccommend as street and driveability issues are @ stake for me. Did I say that I also have the GNX-GTA style wheels...Not an performance enhancer but they do look good...:D

Be cool,

well i'm sure a lot of us florida boys will chime in here as to what and when is "driveability" a problem. The beauty of these cars are the fact lots of ppl are doing 9's or faster with all our accessories still in place (i.e AC PS PB etc etc) turbos will be only a concern for the street if you don't have the fuel or torque converter matched for it.As to the suspension issue..,I'm sure ppl will harp on about the Bilstein shocks all around for street dominance or even KYBs. Bags in rear are cheap but great ideas as well not to mention poly graphite or poly uretheane bushings all around. VR ZR and HI Perf HRs will also address street driveability issues. be wary of drag only rims out there...i bought a set of cragar drag stars and now have hairline cracks in my front rims..ewwwww. Getting rid of that that little underhood air filter canister thingy will be great help too =] Oh, thers's pullies to be wary of, plugging off hot water to throttle body, the removal of the passenger side valve cover breather hose to the turbo...ACK! i'm ranting!!! lol
i think you'll find a hoard of info here on TB.COM

Todd, Yea I have the same rims, they do look nice...I would go with the Bilstein shocks cause I have heard alot of good things about them, but thats just me...

LX Coupe, I really don't remember if it had a pony on the quarter panel or not...all i know is he goes to Santa Fe and He has chrome rims, A custom hood, Gauges, Dark tints, Nice Blue paint job, and a Chrome roll cage...(I dont know why he has the cage)He wasnt that fast unless he runs NOS at the track...Yea I think I have seen you before, did you stop me once infront of Best Buy and tell me to go to the car show there on thursday nights?...
Keep it real,
Daniel

LX Coupe, did you stop me once infront of Best Buy and tell me to go to the car show there on thursday nights?
No that wasn't me. I am sure the kid that talked to you was driving a black hatchback. It's stock and he keeps it really clean. I don't really go to that car show at all. Not really my thing. Rather hangout at the track and BS with people who are actually racing and not talking about how fast they should be when racing. You going to the track anytime soon?

LX Coupe,
I'm going to Miami on Wednesday so i wont be able to make it to the test and tunes that night, anyways I don't have the GN now. My Dad and I switched cars for a month...I went to the track about 3 weeks ago to run his Lightning...It's stock, I ran a 13.9...I should be coming up to Gainesville during the summer since I am still paying rent and I'll bring the GN up to the track, I'll let you know.

Daniel

Back