Wastegate and DP selection

all4gss

Here's the set up: TE-60, 50# inj., 2800 Stall.
Objectives:
1) Low 11-High 10 second passes with conservative boost levels
2) Easy and reliable boost adjustments
3) Exhaust not being the limiting factor in Hp production

That's the long and short of it. Looking for advantage / disavantages to the ATR DP style wastegate vs. factory type set ups.

Thanks in Advance,

Keith Grant

you are expecting an awful lot out of your combo....to run low 11's with what you have will most likely need boost levels north of 25

regarding DP's......the factory set up a la Terry Houston has proven to be very good and simple to use...many of us just use the "tuner" style (loop wastegate and compressor) and adjust boost with the wastegate arm

the ATR set up is expensive and sometimes problematic...the external gate they use is not the world's best

your decision

azgn,

Thanks for the info. Basically if I can get one 10.99 time slip, i'll have it laminated and a copy of it tatooed to my forehead. I'm doing this for fun. And i'm sure as this illness progresses i wont be satisfied with 10 second runs, but for now it's more than dandy. Do you think going with a Craig 61 would get me there easier? The TE-60 I have is a PTE unit and I wouldnt be opposed to trading up before i get the project complete. Also suggestions on headers? I understand some DP have issues with specific headers. Thanks again. I really appreciate this board for the wealth of knowledge and hands-on experience it has to offer people just getting into these cars.

Keith Grant

well, the Houston DP will work with stock headers and ATR headers (different downpipe)

I dunno if you would gain enough going from a 60 to a 61 to matter? My thinking would be to minimize your 60' times via the ability to use high boost launches and sticky tires.....that is the cheapest way to lower your et (a trans brake will do wonders for your et's almost instantly.......not expensive either.....at least the stage right versions)

really, 11.5's is where you want to stay unless you want a race car that breaks things (expensive things) a lot...you can maybe catch a sticky track and 40* air (like at Bowling Green) and get your bonzai run to tatoo on your forehead! But a steady diet of that stuff is a whole different animal...

Good luck with your combo!

azgn,

Thanks again for the info. As far as the wastegate goes. The THDP uses the stock type correct? Is that to mean that you just take a stock one and modify it as the instructions on gnttype.org show? Or are there different kinds/qualities of stock style waste gates. I thought the idea of a remote boost controller might be nice to adjust boost from inside the car. But at the same time, to my understanding, anytime you adjust boost you'll also have to adjust the FP to keep it in the sweet spot right? Or do certain chips give you a margin to play with as far as boost is concerned?

Anyway getting off on a tangent. I'll try to stick to the wastegate topic until i have a clear understanding of it. Again thanks for your help. Also I've heard the Mease SS pipe is a good piece simular to the THDP and also cheaper. Infact I believe there is one for sale on this board at moment. Aside from some of the board who had problems with Mease, would this be a good route to go?

TIA

Keith

yep, Houston & Mease (and even ATR makes one now) all use the stock type wastegate....no mods required unless you have a stock turbo....vendors will put a bigger wastegate port in aftermarket turbos

in car boost adjustment seems real dumb to me, because you are changing the basic tune when you change the boost....but whatever........

It's good to have goals. Going fast takes a lot more than just bolting on a bunch of parts. For your goals, a Terry Houston downpipe will work best for you. If you go with an ATR external wastegate set-up it will cost you more in the long run. You don't need an external wastegate to have boost control, the stock style actuator can work into the 10's with no problems.

You need to think more about your combination, though. A big turbo won't be really fast without high boost. High boost makes a lot of heat, so you'll need a bigger intercooler. Big turbos need a lot of RPM to spool so you'll need a loose converter. Big turbos flow a lot of air so to reduce the boost down to sane levels you need ported heads. Now your goal of high 10's once are a lot closer.