We have been experiencing some difficulties with the turbo spoolig up...

t-type&Z06CRAZE

We got the car out from it being stored up for the winter, checked all the fluids and charged the battery up. Ready to go right? LOL - Well we started the little beast up and needless to say it was skipping running rough and smoking from all available holes possible.

We have sense - changed the spark plugs, reinstalling the hot plugs as we always do, chaged over the valve cover gaskets as they were leaking last year, visually inspected every thing else, all seems fine. She then is started up again, fired right up, no smoke at all and runs fairly smooth, has a slight skip or hesitation at idle...UNTIL.. you get out on the road with her. Once heated to neccessary temp, we then tested the turbo - keep in mind scantech - mass air flow is reading 240 - 250 0n cruise and turbo is reading 0.0, we begin to gain speed and try and build boost by going through the motions, NOT HAPPENING! While trying to build boost scan tech read - Mass airflow dropped to 119, 130, 140's - turbo still showing zero!

To troubleshoot the "no spool" we have:
  • Removed inlet tube into the turbo to check turbine, moves fine with no wobble or no rubbing the housing - seems fine - CHECK!
  • Checked the waste gate and bar for any movement or anything out of the ordinary - seems fine!
  • Checked the Mass Air Flow Sensor - all wiring and connectors look fine, while car was running keep in mind oil pressure showed 65 at all times, normally it shows 40 until you get on it. We unplugged the mass air flow while the car was running, no change in the way it was running, except the oil pressure dropped down to normal(?), engine idled up breifly and then dropped back down, and the check engine light comes on! My thinking is....the MAF sensor is either contaminated and needs to be cleaned OR it is getting ready to go bad. When unplugged the scan tech readings didnt even change any.
Has anyone had these problems or have any other suggestions that we could test? We have not changed over the plug wires, they are rather old but seem fine to the eye, but those wires have been through about 7 racing seasons I know of.

Any suggestions would be GREAT! :)

Is the oil psi gauge electric? If so, it sounds like there could be wiring problems. Being the MAF is electric, and you dropped that out of the circuit, and then another electrical reading changed????
What is the batt/alt output reading?
Boost gauge electric?

Is the oil psi gauge electric? If so, it sounds like there could be wiring problems. Being the MAF is electric, and you dropped that out of the circuit, and then another electrical reading changed????
What is the batt/alt output reading?
Boost gauge electric?

Hey Chuck! Thanks for Looking at My post. I must tell you if you havent already seen it. I posted this same post on "turbo and related parts" just trying to get some feed back and opinions on what my problem could be.

I have posted a very detailed picture report on that post, would it be a problem to ask you to go there and check it out, i put your requested battery / Alt. reading on that post.

The pictures may also give you a better idea of what Im talking about.

Thanks so much!

If the MAF is reading like that I would suspect it isn't seeing the air it needs for the fuel map. Make sure all your soft connections (silicone hoses) are tight and mated correctly. Check that the wastegate actuator and swing armature are free moving. Remove the rod from the wastegate and check to see that that swings without resistance. Give a little push/pull on the wastegate rod itself. What is your cruise fuel pressure reading. Does it fluctuate with throttle?
Hows the battery?

If you have any other data from your scan tool I would post it up.

If the MAF is reading like that I would suspect it isn't seeing the air it needs for the fuel map. Make sure all your soft connections (silicone hoses) are tight and mated correctly. Check that the wastegate actuator and swing armature are free moving. Remove the rod from the wastegate and check to see that that swings without resistance. Give a little push/pull on the wastegate rod itself. What is your cruise fuel pressure reading. Does it fluctuate with throttle?
Hows the battery?

If you have any other data from your scan tool I would post it up.

I'm with him. It has to be a wastegate problem if you aren't spooling at all. The puck is open in there. It is either loose or broken.

We have sense - changed the spark plugs, reinstalling the hot plugs as we always do, chaged over the valve cover gaskets as they were leaking last year, visually inspected every thing else, all seems fine. She then is started up again, fired right up, no smoke at all and runs fairly smooth, has a slight skip or hesitation at idle...UNTIL.. you get out on the road with her. Once heated to neccessary temp, we then tested the turbo - keep in mind scantech - mass air flow is reading 240 - 250 0n cruise and turbo is reading 0.0, we begin to gain speed and try and build boost by going through the motions, NOT HAPPENING! While trying to build boost scan tech read - Mass airflow dropped to 119, 130, 140's - turbo still showing zero!

I changed my plugs once and the spark plug boot came off a little on one wire, even though I used a tool. The car idled good but as soon as I attempted to boost it would just fart and pop and wouldn't build boost. Worse is the wires were brand new KB's, tossed them and never had any issues since.

Never mind the above, if it is pulling the rpm, I'm going to say it is probably your waste gate like others have mentioned.

In my experience when the MAF craps out there is a lot of bucking, backfiring, general mahem. If your motor is otherwise running smooth but will not build boost....we need to keep looking.

Did you try the "tap" test? Car idle, tap MAF with the fat end of a screwdriver. If it's bad you'll know it.

Now that i actually read your reply......do the tap test.