You can type here any text you want

Weind X-CELerator intake.

• Thread starter Thread starter anti-chevy
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
A

anti-chevy

Hello,
Im looking at buying this intake (part # WEI-7541) but the catalog dosent say If its for 78 and earlier or 79 and later heads, can someone help me out here ?
Also wich intakes better the X-CELerator or the Offenhauser Competition manifold ?
I'm going to try making an adaptor plate so I can bolt the turbo and carb combo onto one of thease aftermarket manifolds, who else here has done it? Did you gain anything from it?

The 7541 will fit either the low port or high port heads with no problem. It comes with the ports sized and positioned for the early heads, but with plenty of meat left over to take it out to the late port configuration. It is made of two pieces, one being a bolt-on carb adapter and it's considerably taller than any of the factory manifolds. GB

Thanks for the feedback.Maybe I'll just go with the Offey intake.

I think the Offy's are only low port designs.

Think this one through. The factory turbo intake is ugly for a reason. It was squashed for a reason - hood clearance. Raising the mounting surface will also require new plenum mounting brackets and turbine mounting brackets; the compressor should not support all of the turbo's weight. The EGR tube may not be long enough (I know you want to remove the EGR, but this will cause even more problems, IMO). Then you'll need a new up-pipe and downpipe. And you'll have to find a place for the oil drain return line. And you'll need to bend a new turbo oil feed line. And I'm sure I've missed something.

All that work for unproven/unknown benefits?

Originally posted by b4black
I think the Offy's are only low port designs.
*THEY LIST ONE OF THE OFFEY COMPETITION INTAKES IN PAW (PART # OFF-6228-C) AS BEING FOR 1979 AND LATER 231'S*

* NOT TO WORRY ALOT OF THIS STUFF I'VE TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION AND I'VE GOT THE TOOLS AND SHOP SPACE TO DO IT.*

Think this one through. The factory turbo intake is ugly for a reason. It was squashed for a reason - hood clearance
*BIG UGLY MOPAR SIX PACK SCOOP ON A NON TURBO HOOD*. Raising the mounting surface will also require new plenum mounting brackets and turbine mounting brackets;
*I CAN ELONGATE THEM OR MAKE NEW ONES*
the compressor should not support all of the turbo's weight. The EGR tube may not be long enough (I know you want to remove the EGR, but this will cause even more problems, IMO).
*I STILL DONT UNDERSTAND THIS ONE? AND I WANT TO LEARN, WHATS THE PROBLEM WITH REMOVING THE SMOG EQUIPMENT ON A BUICK TURBO MOTOR? REMEMBER I'M A NEWBIE TO TURBO BUICKS*
Then you'll need a new up-pipe and downpipe.
*I WAS PLANING ON MAKEING A 2.5" DOWN PIPE WITH MY PIPE BENDER AND JUST EXTENDING THE UP PIPE*
And you'll have to find a place for the oil drain return line.
*NO PROBLEM, MAYBE ILL WELD A BUNG ONTO ONE OF THE VALVE COVERS*
And you'll need to bend a new turbo oil feed line. And I'm sure I've missed something.
*I'VE GOT MANY DIFFERENT SIZES OF BRAKE LINE AND FUEL LINE BENDERS*
All that work for unproven/unknown benefits?

Well OK then, but it seems a lot of work for possibly little gain. As long as your willing to be the guniea pig, I'm all for it. ;)

As far as intakes, Edlebrock, Holley, Weiand, and the stock 4.1 are other choices. There is also the option of going to a blow-thru arrangement and leaving the carb right on top of the four-barrel intake.

The EGR helps reduce part throttle knock (when cruising down the hiway). Maybe rejetting the carb will cure this. Fred C doesn't run an EGR, maybe he'll have some input. Most emissions component help driveability as well. I'm not saying keep them, just make sure you know the consequences of removing them. Removing some of the smog equipement will cause the car to run like crap. Like the PVER (or is it PEVR?) for the power valve.

Bend your own downpipes? Can you bend them without kinks? There are plenty of people here interested in 2.5" DP's if you can make them. :)

PS- you may want to add a signature that lists your year/car. I keep thinking everyone has an '83, but your's is a '79 right?

I had a thought for you guys. This is another result of getting board at work. Accel makes a throttle body injection system that bolts right in place of a stock carb. Anybody tried removing the 4 bbl and bolting one of these on in it's place??

You can put a turbo system together in almost any physical configuration if you have the skills. There was a guy with a custom rod running a Carb/Turbo back in Virginia that I would see at car shows. He remounted the turbo directly on top of an aftermarket intake so it would blow straight down in. Of course this moves the turbo up high and the carb has to go with it. But this was a street rod and there was no hood to worry about.

You can get around the part throttle ping with a change of carb needles to the ones with a non-eger taper. They just add a bit more fuel to fight the knock monsters.

I picked up a Smokie Yunick Weiand intake on Ebay a couple years ago. It is of the style now called "Air Gap" with raised runners, a raised water crossover and a Holley carb pad. It is my belief this will be the ideal intake for an intercooled blow through system on my 79 Regal. Rich has talked about doing that several times and I started collecting pieces. It sounded like fun.

Originally posted by pat83t
I had a thought for you guys. This is another result of getting board at work. Accel makes a throttle body injection system that bolts right in place of a stock carb. Anybody tried removing the 4 bbl and bolting one of these on in it's place??

I had the same thought. ALSO entirely a result of being totally bored at work.

So I e-mailed turbo city http://www.turbocity.com/ about thier TB kits & they said they could put one together for me for $1,200.:eek:
However, they also said that thier TB couldn't flow enough to support the 17-18#'s of boost our cars are capable of putting out.
They did say it would support stock boost levelswith no problem.
Heck, $1,200 should put you in an BT/sfi/IC set up if your thrifty & so inclined.

Originally posted by anti-chevy
I'm going to try making an adaptor plate so I can bolt the turbo and carb combo onto one of thease aftermarket manifolds,

I think that's an excellent idea(hood clearance aside).
Something else you might want to consider if your going thru all that fab. anyway is switching to a diff. turbo.
Mainly because the elbo on the turbo's outlet reduces the boost the motor sees by10%. Not only are we making boost we're not getting, it also is creating more heat & I'm also convenced that it contributes to lag. It's just a terrible design. I heard Buick builtit in on purpose to limit boost but it could have just been for hood clearance??
Also, our cars turbo's only put out a max. of18#'s without being modified. IMO, it would be cheaper & more productive to convert to a bigger, more efficient turbo (pointed the correct way of coarse;) ) than it would be to have our turbo modified for more boost.
It's gonna be at least $500 (correct me if I'm wrong here)
to get our turbo's "hogged out".
You can usually find used turbo's all over for $75-150(j/y & e-bay).

I was planning on keeping the stock TB intake but switching to a better turbo. There shouldn't be as much to fabricate using the stock intake especially since the stock intakes inlet is almost exactly the same size as the average turbo's outlet (or my T-4 anyway). A nice aftermarket intake would sure be icing on the cake tho! They could possibley have added cooling effects also.

Good luck & keep us posted on your progress.

If you’re toying with the Idea of F.I. check out this site.
"http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html"

Build it your self-F.I. This maybe my winter project.

Originally posted by b4black

The EGR helps reduce part throttle knock (when cruising down the hiway). Maybe rejetting the carb will cure this. Fred C doesn't run an EGR, maybe he'll have some input. Most emissions component help driveability as well. I'm not saying keep them, just make sure you know the consequences of removing them. Removing some of the smog equipement will cause the car to run like crap. Like the PVER (or is it PEVR?) for the power valve.

Just my .02 cents.
I've totally removed all emissions from my T with no ill effects so far.
It's been that way for at least 6 mo. now & I haven't had any part throttle knock. I'm not saying that it will be the same for every car but I do think if knock becomes apparent it could be tuned out fairly easily. I do agree that the egr could help fight knock but if it is needed for that reason then something isn't tuned right anyway. A properly tuned motor in good shape should not have a problem with knock, turbocharged or otherwise.
I guess it also depends if your looking for all out performance or you just want a sweet running car. If I weren't looking for max. perf. I wouldn't consider removing anything. Buick did after all make one FINE automobile when they designed these!
I do have a :confused: tho Rich?
How have I (have I?)removed the PEVR along with my smog equipement?
Where is it located?

Back