You can type here any text you want

Well, what do you think?

• Thread starter Thread starter pat83t
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
P

pat83t

I have been thinking for some time about getting another regal and putting in a small block and turning it into a full blown race car. I recently recieved the oppurtunity to get an 83 with the 4.1, runs and drives for $200.00. The interior is trashed but most of the body seems like it is in pretty good shape. Who needs interior in a race car anyway? There is a few advantages to getting the car for a race car and a few disadvantages. Advantages= factory floor shift, interior gutted, right price range, runs and drives. Disadvantages= factory moonroof option, factory 4.1L car. I would be stripping it down so that would give me some spare parts for the t-type like wheels (same as my t-type) dash and some gauges (factory gauge pack.). Also how easy is it to sell a running 4.1 carb to pan anyway??

I might be interested in the motor if you do buy it. I think it'd be fun to build another motor for the ol' vega. This time, I think I'd build it to be California emissions compliant. ;)

Ben

A car just for the track...hummmmm...I say do it and have fun. Just take your time so that when it's time for the track you can go whip some butt :D
Jim

I been looking for a 4.1 Regal for cheap. That's a great deal.

But I don't understand why you would pull the 4.1 and go with a SBC. I realize there are advantages to the SBC, but the 4.1 is also a great motor. Buld it up, IMO.

I also have a thing against Chevy motors in Buick (I'm a bigot against inter-brand mixing). I just ain't right. Id go with a Buick 350 or 455. A 455 Regal would be cheap way to go fast.

That's what I think. :)

B4black, I agree that bastardizing a regal is not cool. But Buick did it from the factory, they had Olds engines in some of them. To build a cheap race car motor, the SBC is the way to go. You will not find a cheaper engine to build. BTW, I have an El Camino with a 3.8 N/A that may be going SFI soon.

Actually Buick was putting 301 Pontiac's and 305 Chevy's in Regals long before they went to the 307 Olds. Pissed a lot of people off if I remember right when they started going "coporate" with their motors like Ford and Mopar.

I assume most people choose Buick cars because they don't want another run of the mill Camaro/Firebrid/Mustang/RiceBox. Then why use a run of the mill engine. ;)

Actually Pat already has a great car for racing. Make the 4.1 Regal the daily driver and put your go-fast money into the T Type :D

Actually I have thought about doing that but I don't want to run my turbo into the ground by racing it. The turbo is the car that I take to shows, besides it is a t-top car and I like my seals to stay sealing. The small block I was referring to was actually a 311 cid. It is a 327 w/ a 283 crank bored .040 over with 1.94 intakes and 1.60 exhaust valves with ported and polished heads and 10.5 to 1 compression puts it at about 426 horses. Then I figured tunnel ram with a NOS fogger set at about 200 horse boost. It should get me to the other end. Parts will be cheaper than busting my car also.

Back