You can type here any text you want

What are these worth?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bent6

The Vanilla Gowilla
What do you guys think a pair of fresh Stage 2 Chapman heads complete with new Jesel rockers are worth? Just looking for opinions.....:confused:

What do you guys think a pair of fresh Stage 2 Chapman heads complete with new Jesel rockers are worth? Just looking for opinions.....:confused:

You have to get into more details in regards to valve springs,retainers,locks,valves etc.
My heads were reasonably fresh and for my application i put another $1000 into them.

I don't know all the specifics - just assume all the good stuff - I do know they have titanium intake valves and I'm going to assume stainless on the exhaust side.

Nice pair w/ matched intake (& yes, you need one) would be worth 4.5/5K. I base this on the money to put (or have) everything with no trash parts.
All of this assumes you know what to look for in a correct pair. I hate to mention, most of the correct (?) examples I've witnessed needed help.
Question 1: are they new (&) ported by Chapman?
Ignore the rest of this if they are from Chapman.
Question 2: have they been ported correctly (big problem, do they have flow problems (which we could discuss for hrs.), not just hogged out.
Question 3: are the seats all the same elevation w/ relation to the clamping surface.
Question 4: are the valve margins cut to the same diamensions & when you straight edge the stems are they equal height or all over the place?
Question 5: are the chambers the same (not just close)?
Question 6: are the guides correct ?
Then you get into the rocker assembly and the pot holes they present. I would not sell my pair in any config. other than as a complete set. Everything is matched. All the elevations and voluum(s) are correct.
The manifold is port matched... Lots of time >)
Everything has been cryo'd and coated.

You may get lucky though, you never know!
Now, how much are they worth... whatever you are willing to pay for them.
BTW, i witnessed a pair go to BMS for 23K in the late 80s and was told that that was the (typical) price GM was charged for a pair coming from one of their builders. Mr. Brayton (Jim Wright) or
Mr. Foyt (Howard Gilbert or George Billedeaux).

Amend please.

Question 1: are they new (&) ported by Chapman?
Ignore the rest of this if they are from Chapman.

I.M.O., there were a few others that did work on Stage II heads that were just as good or better then Chapmans .

ALL stage II heads need to be gone over, i don't care if they look brand spanking new!
Chances are the valve springs (at the very least) are too light for a race turbocharged application.

They are not brand new but are FRESH heads originally ported and set up by Chapman. NEW valves, retainers, seats, locks, etc, etc along with a NEW set of Jesel rockers which sell new for around $1k. Let's just assume they have all the good parts in them as they sit. The valve springs will be matched to my camshaft and they will be gone thru with a fine-tooth comb before I buy them. They are currently being pressure tested. Chamber size is not critical at this point as we haven't ordered the pistons yet.

They belong to a very reputable Buick racer and will be gone thru by one of the best engine builders in the country before they go on my motor. We already have a deal on them pending them passing inspection by my motor man - I'm just trying to get some OPINIONS on what they are worth.

Back