You can type here any text you want

What came stock?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

72firebird

Ok after looking at several TTAs and the Trans Am Nationals today I have a couple of things I couldn't figure out.

First off did the TTAs come with glass or plexiglass t-tops. I think it kind of varied but is there a point in which they switched or anything.

Was there originally a filter on the WG solenoid? All but one car I saw didn't have the filter and it only had a part of it. This includes a 800 mile TTA.

What color is the K-member suppose to be? Most seems to be a surface rust color now but I noticed on the low mileage cars it looked like it was bare... which I owuld think would be a cumb idea by GM.

Was there ever any sort of a sticker in front of the radiator on te white part? I know about the little plate with the number on it but on Smileys car I noticed what looked like a sticker outline and I wasn't sure if it was maybe something that came stock (only car I saw the residue on)

I think that's it but if I remmeber anymore in the morning I'll post them. Most of these are just minor details but I examined all of the cars there the best I could to see minor differences so I could figure out EXACTLEY what came on these stock.

First off did the TTAs come with glass or plexiglass t-tops. I think it kind of varied but is there a point in which they switched or anything.
They could have either or, GM at some point realised the lexan ttops wheren't any good and switched to glass also many lexan ttop owners had theirs replaced under warranty. Not sure of the date when this happend, anyone?

Was there originally a filter on the WG solenoid? All but one car I saw didn't have the filter and it only had a part of it. This includes a 800 mile TTA.
Yes there is a small rectangular/square shape filter on the WG solenoid, if you are missing yours get one from Johnsperformance they are like $2 each or so

What color is the K-member suppose to be? Most seems to be a surface rust color now but I noticed on the low mileage cars it looked like it was bare... which I owuld think would be a cumb idea by GM.
From the factory they wree only treadted with something that looks like thinner rostolium (spelling) so some sort of rost preventive oily stuff that wears off and then you get the "nice" rusty color :-) I'm going to take mine down and have it powder coated black along with the front a-arms when I replace all the bushings and steering components later this year

Was there ever any sort of a sticker in front of the radiator on te white part? I know about the little plate with the number on it but on Smileys car I noticed what looked like a sticker outline and I wasn't sure if it was maybe something that came stock (only car I saw the residue on)Not aware of any sticker in this area, only one is the Fan Caution (yellow) sticker on the plastic fan support, anyone?

Yeah I wasn't aware of any sticker either but figured I might as well ask just in case. I too plan on removing my A-arms and k-member this winter to have them powdercoated. I'm tempted to get another stock downpipe and crossover to have them ceramic coated.

Here's a pic of the front area under the hood, as you can see, only the yellow fan warning sticker as mentioned above.
http://hometown.aol.com/onebadwskier/images/ttaeng2.jpg

As far as the WG solenoid filter, it falls off very very easily, if you want it to stay on, you might put a touch of super glue on it, I have several from John's and they fall right off also. The filter doesn't do much as boost is vented out of that hole on the solenoid, there is no vacuum going in, probably when the boost vents out is when it gets blown right off.
Seems like I have seen a little clip on some that helps keep it in place on the GN's??? Maybe the original solenoid had it as the aftermarket Delco ones do not.

Jan Larsson said:
Was there ever any sort of a sticker in front of the radiator on te white part? I know about the little plate with the number on it but on Smileys car I noticed what looked like a sticker outline and I wasn't sure if it was maybe something that came stock (only car I saw the residue on)Not aware of any sticker in this area, only one is the Fan Caution (yellow) sticker on the plastic fan support, anyone?

My Festival Car has this sticker outline you refer to on the passenger side of the fan support, were as my Hardtop does not. All I can think of is the dealer might have placed the recal sticker for the seatbelts on the fan support. The paper for these recalls were very flimsy with a weak adheasive. These can be washed off leaving the outline.
- Dave

yes - i know the ttops got changed midway through... i guess none of us know the date though... :(

i don't think jared is talking about the yellow sticker on the black fan support - mine has that. i think he is talking about farther up front - the support between the radiator support and the bumper. here is a pic - you can see the outline on the left side. actually, there appears to be another one on the right side also. you can see a previous owner lightly painted over these spots also, like some paint got pulled off when the decals were removed or something... (i added red lines to help you find them)...

100_0456b.jpg

ps - which car was missing the wg filter - mine? ;)

also - for anyone interested, my wheels are on backwards ;) the back are up front, front's are in the back. i thought that couldn't happen??? some one posted which wheel was what the other day in my "where to buy rims" thread... i have not taken off the wheels yet on this car. all i can think is some one added a spacer or something? my wheels don't touch the calipers :dunno: they have obviously been like this for a while because the fronts are the ones full of brake dust that i can't get clean. i'm sure jared can vouch for how dirty they are.... the back wheels are clean. so the wheels must have been on backwards for a long time...

Yeah Jasons wheels are pretty dirty. I'll post a thread with some info for a guy who restores wheels.

For the WG filter every car was missing it except this guy Dave in stock class. He has a festival car with like 1x,xxx on it. His was actually torn up and barely hanging on by a thread. The 800 mile car was even missing the filter.

j13smiley said:
ps - which car was missing the wg filter - mine? ;)

also - for anyone interested, my wheels are on backwards ;) the back are up front, front's are in the back. i thought that couldn't happen??? some one posted which wheel was what the other day in my "where to buy rims" thread... i have not taken off the wheels yet on this car. all i can think is some one added a spacer or something? my wheels don't touch the calipers :dunno: they have obviously been like this for a while because the fronts are the ones full of brake dust that i can't get clean. i'm sure jared can vouch for how dirty they are.... the back wheels are clean. so the wheels must have been on backwards for a long time...
I've seen a lot of people with the wheels on backwards and they did not have a problem, I've also seen alot of cars have the same offset wheels on the same side :)
Discount Tires will install them backwards everytime :D They appearently can't read the stamp on the back of the rim, they are clearly marked "FRONT" and "REAR". The front ones are the ones that look like they should be on the rear with the deeper dish/less Back Spacing.

I had my wheels switched front and back too. First off, they never rubbed with that setup, car is lowered to. I switched them and i dont know if i like it any better. The fronts look pushed out to far in comparrison to the rear. Also after putting them where they were suppossed to be the car rubbed the right rear tire. Badly too. That problem was solved by an adjustable panhard bar. The rear was slightly off center and after some adjustment no more rubbing(it would mostly rub with someone in the back seat). Now i only rub when im in full on hardcore turn and the suspension is fully compressed....

David

Jan Larsson said:
Check the pictures half way down or so of this TTA sold on e-bay and you see a sticker on this TTA, not sure what it's supposed to be for .....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4567883905

yep - here's the small one on the right side...
1123818071040_13.jpg

almost looks like something about the tranny....

P
R
N
D
L

park, reverse, neutral, drive, low? i can't make out if there is writing on the right hand side in the silver circle...

and what is that tin tag on the compressor side turbo housing in that pic above??

Back