You can type here any text you want

What exactly is "Tricky" about the 3.8T?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

rx7>rx8

What is it that makes everyone saw not anyone can rebuild these? is it the intake with the turbo? The upper end? Or something else? I'm asking because most of my experiences are with small/big block chevy's and 2 13B-REW rotaries.

What makes a 3.8 difficult to rebuild is knowledge of the proper clearances. Do some searches and you will find numerous new motors built wrong at the owner’s expense and from reputable garages. It’s not a sbc and you cannot build it like one. HTH

Is there a service manual or something with the proper clearances?

The problem is not usually finding the proper clearances, it is finding a shop that will follow them, and not do "what they know is better" in spite of what "the book" or "the customer" says (because, after all, you went to them because they are the experts, right?). A sbc that will turn 7000 rpm needs lots looser main and rod bearing clearances than a 3.8 that will never see 5800, and the oiling system on the 3.8 is weak enough that if you build it that loose you will have low oil pressure issues. Yes you can also upgrade the oiling system and I'm not saying that is bad, just unnecessary on most medium performance builds (12's and up, say, vs 11's and wanting 10's) if you keep the main and rod clearances where Buick says.

So you either need to become an expert and find a shop that will do exactly what you tell them to, or find someone who is already familiar with these motors.

Back