You can type here any text you want

what gas/additives to use?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

auto_cran

I'm trying to figure out what kind of gas, and more importantly if I should use an additive in my Turbo Trans Am. What do you all recommend?

Really interested in this for around town driving, not at the dragstrip. Obviously, start out with Super Unleaded, but what about adding in an additive like RxP, 104 + Octane, etc...?? Have you found any one that you prefer over others?

What do you all use, and what do you recommend for a STOCK TTA? Just want to cruise around, do an occasional WOT, and not have to worry about any knocking or overboost.

In all my personal vehicles, I always use Chevron Super Unleaded. Occasionally throw in a bottle of Techron. Being new to the TTA, all I have put in her is full tank of Super Unleaded - nothing else.

Looking forward to hearing your input!

Thanks,

Chris

All of those octane boosters are crap. Either use 100 octane or get alcohol injection. If you barely drive the car 100 octance is the easier alternative. Alcohol injection kits are about $500 plus you need a chip and set up time. I run 100 or 110 all the time. It would take years for me to break even on the alcohol inj kit. I guess it depends how much you drive your car.

complete waste of $$$$ !!! go to alky and you will never look back !!;)

Originally posted by auto_cran
I'm trying to figure out what kind of gas, and more importantly if I should use an additive in my Turbo Trans Am. What do you all recommend?

Really interested in this for around town driving, not at the dragstrip. Obviously, start out with Super Unleaded, but what about adding in an additive like RxP, 104 + Octane, etc...?? Have you found any one that you prefer over others?

Chris & Sweet6,

If you are keeping the cat on you still have some options for good octane.
1. Xylene and Toluene. Both are 117 octane. Xylene is more readily available at just about any hardware store paint department and Toluene is more available in paint stores but can be found in both. The rule of thumb is never mix more than 30 to 40% of these with a tank of gas, another words, no more than 6 gallons per tank. This will give roughly 102 to 103 octane and these two additives will not harm any sensors. You do want to use about a teaspoon full of Marvel Mystery oil per gallon of the additive used because both of these chemicals are solvents.
2. Find a place that sells race gas. Most of these businesses will sell either 100 or 105 octane unleaded.

Now, if you want to take yer cat off and put a test pipe in, yer rockin. You can use any octane race gas that is leaded or find a small private air field where folks fly small plains in and out and buy 100 octane low lead, it is typically cheaper than race gas. Both these options you need to bring yer on gas cans, you can not pump directly into a car.

I strongly recommend that you remove the cat and put it back on for inspection only. You will get far better performance out of the car if you do this one simple mod that is completely reversible. You will also need to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Now with this will come an adjustable wastegate and a chip, again, all reversible. If you don't want to go this route, revert back to option 1 at the top.

Xylene will mess up the paint around the filler. Any GN that has used xylene for extended periods, the plastic under the plate always is buckled. For an occasional blast.. its great.

I'm biased on the alky.. but first time ya get owned on the highway.. you'll wish you had sumthen to crank the boost up..

I remember once going to the track and carrying a 5 gallon can of C16 in the hatch(pre-alky).. and this guy with a C5 starts to razz me on the hwy... all I could do was like 17 PSI.. and got spanked bad.. funny thing he was also going to the track.. after fuel swap, I got even.. but it never made up for the first beating I got. After that.. its history.

Re: Re: what gas/additives to use?

Originally posted by 89ICBM

Now, if you want to take yer cat off and put a test pipe in, yer rockin. You can use any octane race gas that is leaded or find a small private air field where folks fly small plains in and out and buy 100 octane low lead, it is typically cheaper than race gas. Both these options you need to bring yer on gas cans, you can not pump directly into a car.

I strongly recommend that you remove the cat and put it back on for inspection only. You will get far better performance out of the car if you do this one simple mod that is completely reversible. You will also need to get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Now with this will come an adjustable wastegate and a chip, again, all reversible. If you don't want to go this route, revert back to option 1 at the top.

So you're saying if I removed the cat I can run 110 leaded? I thought that it would eventually foul out the O2 sesor since it's not heated it would make a thin coat of lead over it resulting in it not reading right. This is what I have learned over the years and have heard from many. But if it's just the cat hell I already got that done and I can get 110 for almost $1 cheaper per gallon then I get 100 octane and I don't have to drive as far.

Re: Re: Re: what gas/additives to use?

Originally posted by 72firebird
So you're saying if I removed the cat I can run 110 leaded? I thought that it would eventually foul out the O2 sesor since it's not heated it would make a thin coat of lead over it resulting in it not reading right.

72firebird,

Yes, it will eventually foul the O2 sensor but that's really no big deal. You can get them from sparkplugs.com for $16.88. Buy yerself 3 or 4 and yer good to go. Here's the direct link to the Denso O2 for our cars
http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?AAIA=1251638&mfid=3.
You can also get the heated O2 from Caspers but it's more cost effective to get the Denso. Oh yea! The leaded fuel smells way better than the unleaded! HA!

I did the Xylene for about a year. 1 gallon of Xylene for 3 gallons of gas. 1oz of MMoil for every gallon of Xylene. Ran just fine like that...

Then I went with Alky and never looked back. No more mixing or worrying about spilling the Xylene on the paint. Just fill up the resevoir with alky and I was golden for quite awhile. I was able to run more boost also :D

After the initial price of the kit, it pays for itself over time. No race gas, Xylene, or different tunes. Set on kill and forget about it :)

once you run "25- to whatever ya enuff balls to" you will never look back :p

Originally posted by Grumpy

Hey! Starvin Marvin!
You found a board you ain't been kicked off of ea! :eek:
Are you still makin them MAF pipes?

There is an octane additive that works...

If you are looking for an in-tank additive to pump gas, Torco Accelerator really works (verified on the track and dyno with scantools). It comes in 1 quart cans (going rate is about $15/can) or 5 gallon pails. Available in leaded or unleaded formulations.

Mixing 1 quart with 93 octane pump gas yields:
20 gallons of 93: 97 minimum octane race fuel
10 gallons of 93: 104 minimum octane race fuel
5 gallons of 93: 107 minimum octane race fuel

www.torcoracefuels.com (under Power Products on menu). There are distributors that sell it cheaper than the prices listed on the Torco site.

The quart cans are convenient to carry around for those times when you need to add anti-knock to your tank without having to find race gas. But it is expensive to run for general driving.

I used it until I decided to run Alky...now I will always be prepared to run high boost in an emergency...;).

Hope this helps,
Warren

Originally posted by 89ICBM
Originally posted by Grumpy

Hey! Starvin Marvin!
You found a board you ain't been kicked off of ea! :eek:
Are you still makin them MAF pipes?

they left the back room door open ....shhhhhh don't tell anyone :p Ya I still have the pipes ... look over the "other" place in the TTA section :D

Re: There is an octane additive that works...

Originally posted by csxtra
If you are looking for an in-tank additive to pump gas, Torco Accelerator really works (verified on the track and dyno with scantools). It comes in 1 quart cans (going rate is about $15/can) or 5 gallon pails. Available in leaded or unleaded formulations.

Mixing 1 quart with 93 octane pump gas yields:
20 gallons of 93: 97 minimum octane race fuel
10 gallons of 93: 104 minimum octane race fuel
5 gallons of 93: 107 minimum octane race fuel

www.torcoracefuels.com (under Power Products on menu). There are distributors that sell it cheaper than the prices listed on the Torco site.

The quart cans are convenient to carry around for those times when you need to add anti-knock to your tank without having to find race gas. But it is expensive to run for general driving.

I used it until I decided to run Alky...now I will always be prepared to run high boost in an emergency...;).

Hope this helps,
Warren
I was going to say its pretty popular on the Shelby Dodge board. But then I see whose posting :) I've heard nothing but good things about this from over there.

Back