You can type here any text you want

What lug nuts for stock steel GN rims/caps?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Drewster

Wish I Had A Clone. AKA Andrew Youlio
Is there any alternative to the $6.50/nut stock replacement lugs from Gbody or Kirbans?
i just swapped my T rims for 87GN rims and caps. What lug nuts do you use so the GN caps will fit proper?
I just tried some Dorman 711-305. They we so tight the caps wouldnt go on even with a dead blow hammer.
The stock T lugs were better but still very tight trying to get the caps on. I was afraid i would not be able to get the caps back off if i continued with the dead blow hammer.
Do i need to manually tweek the cap ring some or am i just not hitting the caps hard enough ( i already thought i might crack the cap)

help!
Andrew

I'm sure someone has put GN rims on their T type before. What lugs did ya use? Andrew

I just use 12mm 1.5 closed acorn nuts with a tapered end. hold the cap in place with no lug nuts on the studs. Then hand tightening the lugs they should pinch in on those tabs. Once the center cap is in place and being held by the lugs you can begin to tighten down the lug nuts with what ever you use. If you have problems you can always bend the tabs out a little and slide them under the lug and tighten down as well.

What he said^^. But I put electrical tape on the socket or 4 way so I don't scratch my center caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

so to confirm, you can not install the center caps once the lugs are in place.
is that how it is with the stock lugs? what a hassel if true.
guess the center caps wont fall off.... ever
Andrew

No. Once the lug nuts are on do not try forcing the center cap on or you may break it.

I usually start one lug nut by hand to hold the wheel in place. Then hold the center cap on and start the other 4 nuts by hand until they all touch the wheel and hold the center in place. Then go around and snug them all down. Like i said earlier I put tape on my socket or 4 way so that I don't scratch my NOS center caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

call Mike's Montes at 800-811-5851 located in Versailles Ohio. I bought some GN lug nuts from him that were very reasonable.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...idqmZ6o257?itemIdentifier=90431_349101_18788_

Look the same as the other I have on the car, which I assume are stock. Don't have the 'flying centercaps' of my first GN though to comment on installation.

Lost a couple over 50K miles, just make sure the tabs are bent out properly and check the backside where they had a tendency to break off their plastic tabs. I was able to install and remove with lugs in place on my first GN.

ahh so the caps can pop on and off! thanks for the post. those do look like stock lugs
A

NO, the caps are NOT designed to be installed or removed with lugs in place!!!!! JC Turbo is correct, and uses the proper install procedure.

thanks for clarifiying Dave. cool black lugs Steve.
Thanks for everyones help
Andrew

Back