You can type here any text you want

What rear to go with

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jpratt

I have a hot air limited with a 7 rear end. I am going to make this a fast car, 10's hopefully. I do not want to do the rear end then have to re do it later on. What should I go with? 8" or a ???? I see 8" rears going for 700-900 and full fabbed rear end for around 1800. What would you do? Also I would like the car to remain streetable.

You are probably talking about a 8.5 GN rear...When properly setup, they can handle quite a good amount of power...I still have the stock original housing on my GN, but I beefed up the internal components by removing the stock posi and axles, added some Moser spool and axles and c-clip eliminator kit (for which I found out how to stop the dreaded oil leaks). The only thing left for me to do is to install one of those "TA" or "LPW" rear axle covers with braces ...Hope this helps...

Claude :wink:

I was thinking something a little tougher than the 8.5 GN rear end. I plan on using a trans brake and running it real hard.

I was thinking something a little tougher than the 8.5 GN rear end. I plan on using a trans brake and running it real hard.

Melissa's 9 sec GN street car has a stock GN rear with axles, c clip eliminators, and the rear cover .. Haven't really pushed the trans brake yet:eek: a 9" Ford will be more than $1800 by the time your threw :p

9's sounds great

I thought the transbrake might be dangerous with the 8.5. Currie or somebody out there made a drop in housing for our cars, just cannot remember who it was.

All the main rear end companys make the housings for the G Bodys .. Plus a lot of "no name" ones on Ebay ..

Cheapest would be to get a used stocker from the board and then do what Grumpy did with axles.

I'm on the fence about this topic also but there are a ton of guys hooking on the stocker with axles, driveshaft is probably an earlier concern.

Back