What sort of boost...?

theman1990

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
So I've been reading and learning but at the end of the day, I'm still new to turbos and Buicks. I'm trying to get an idea for ballpark boost that my combo can handle (safely, not looking for the ragged edge.) Stock block bored 30 over, forged crank, rods and pistons, ARP studs throughout and a main girdle, not sure about the main caps. Full roller 212/212 cam/valvetrain with Stage 2 GN1 14 bolt heads and cometic gaskets. Bigger turbo w/ front mount, upgraded exhaust and downpipe. Fueling is 60lb/hr and boost-a-pump. Computer is FAST XFI 2.0 and it's currently at 14psi but it starts blowing off excess boost nearly immediately. Just trying to get an idea where I can consider going boost wise. I understand that the "real" numbers will depend on tuning and AFR etc.

If you are running pump gas with no alky injection you might be able to run a few more lbs of boost but you need to watch for knock. With alky injection you can probably push it up to mid 20s. With e85 and enough fuel system you can go even higher.

On pump 93 you will be limited to 17 - 18 psi max and even then you have to watch for knock . Octane is your friend ! The easiest way to run more boost is race gas , the cheapest is Aly injection and to me the best is E85 . If E85 is available in your area , you would need more pump , bigger injectors and possibly new fuel lines . At this point you would want a wideband O2 if you don't have it already . I went bottom 10's with less than what you have in my old motor . More power means drivetrain upgrades also ...it never ends !!

What turbo and how are you controlling boost?

Blowing off excess boost, like the stock style actuator or wastegate?

You're combo with those heads and a big turbo will crush 60lb injectors fast unless you're on alky or twin nozzle so I would hold off and get more seat time and experience.

What turbo and how are you controlling boost?

Blowing off excess boost, like the stock style actuator or wastegate?

You're combo with those heads and a big turbo will crush 60lb injectors fast unless you're on alky or twin nozzle so I would hold off and get more seat time and experience.
Has a Tial wastegate.... Yah I'm not looking to squeeze every last HP out of it. Have a lot of NA and supercharged (back in the day) engine experience so not a total newb, just completely new to Buick turbo 6's :)

Are YOU the tuner or someone else? I'd be pretty conservative and "sneek up" on higher levels of performance. Testing and small increments are your friend until you have some hard numbers and notes of conditions where they were attained. Doesnt matter how much you spend on parts, anything can be hurt if you try hard enough. Just look at Cleetus M and his broken main cap s morris smx.

Are YOU the tuner or someone else? I'd be pretty conservative and "sneek up" on higher levels of performance. Testing and small increments are your friend until you have some hard numbers and notes of conditions where they were attained. Doesnt matter how much you spend on parts, anything can be hurt if you try hard enough. Just look at Cleetus M and his broken main cap s morris smx.
I'm definitely not a tuner, nor am I an idiot who's just gonna throw money and hope for the best. Trying to get an idea of what sort of PSI these engines and components can handle. Have built and raced many a SBF without destroying one, would like to keep that going in the Buick experience. :)

what sort of PSI these engines and components can handle
I know of 109 motors that have been north of 45psi with no issues !
I have run at 30 psi for years on stock crank & rods . It's all in the tune , IT HAS TO BE SPOT ON at higher boost levels . Checking plugs immediately after a WOT pull and checking fueling in data log . The weak link in our motors if the tune is perfect , is the block . Cracked cylinder walls is popular issue at high HP .

Your engine is much more built than mine and I’ve run 30+psi for years. Watch for kr like a hawk. What furl will you be using?

I'm definitely not a tuner, nor am I an idiot who's just gonna throw money and hope for the best. Trying to get an idea of what sort of PSI these engines and components can handle. Have built and raced many a SBF without destroying one, would like to keep that going in the Buick experience
This is a video of my car . It has a stock block , crank , rods , 206/206 cam 6465 turbo and Champion iron heads running E85 @ 30 psi boost . The tune is spot on with zero knock . Your car should perform just as well on E85 , but you would need to upgrade the fuel system from what you have now .

What are you fueling with? E85?
I run a can of vp octanium unleaded per tank of 93 with a water/meth mix sprayed on top of that. I’ve also done it with e85, but there is only one station that sells it in southern NJ and it’s not close to me.

If e85 is available to you use it. You will need bigger injectors as was already mentioned above.

This is a video of my car . It has a stock block , crank , rods , 206/206 cam 6465 turbo and Champion iron heads running E85 @ 30 psi boost . The tune is spot on with zero knock . Your car should perform just as well on E85 , but you would need to upgrade the fuel system from what you have now .
Nice!! Very impressive!