You can type here any text you want

What timing are you running with 93 octane gas

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

onefastjackass

Ok I was woundering what timing you guys are running at WOT with 93-94 octane gas.Also what boost are you able to run??I have a ra 93 chip and am only able to run 15 lbs of boost with 94 octane or else I get Knock retard .

Direct scan says it at 22.4 degrees of timing.Is this too much??And do you think if I got the timing to 18-20 degrees at WOT it would help me run 17 lbs.

That's quite a bit of timing actually. I keep mine down around the 18º area, running 93 octane, I'm able to maintain 20# of boost in 1st and 2nd gears, and pull it back to 17# in 3rd and 4th gears, to keep knock to 1º or less.

Generally speaking anything aproaching 23º timing by today's standards is a "98 octane chip".

Originally posted by TurboDave
That's quite a bit of timing actually. I keep mine down around the 18º area, running 93 octane, I'm able to maintain 20# of boost in 1st and 2nd gears, and pull it back to 17# in 3rd and 4th gears, to keep knock to 1º or less.

Generally speaking anything aproaching 23º timing by today's standards is a "98 octane chip".
Dave how do you do this are you running a special chip or an aftermarket engine control system??Excuse my ignorance.But how do you run 20 lbs for the first two gears and then 17 for the other two??And if you are running a chip which one??

Last year, I was running 18 psi of boost on 94 with no knock with a Jay Carter 20* timing chip.

Brandon

Onefast,
I'm sure Dave will reply but since I got here first....he's running an extender chip and even the stock chip has differing wastegate duty cycles for gears 3 and 4th.

Basically the ecm can't tell the difference between 1st and 2nd so your boost should be almost exactly the same for those 2 gears. Once you hit 3rd you should see less boost and even less if you run it thru 4th for any period.

Now that being said, thats only if your still using the stock wastegate solenoid to control boost, if your running tuner style then all bets are off.

HTH,
Mark

Originally posted by onefastjackass
Dave how do you do this are you running a special chip or an aftermarket engine control system??Excuse my ignorance.But how do you run 20 lbs for the first two gears and then 17 for the other two??And if you are running a chip which one??

BoostKillsStres pretty much answered it!
I run the Extender chip with my Translator + combo. The chip can handle this feature, but I use my BstC (Boost Command) boost controller to actually handle the boost reduction chores when the car shifts to 3rd (higher load requires less boost to keep knock under control).

This same feature is present in all stock style chips, but unfortunately, most aftermarket chips have the 3rd and 4th gear boost reduction feature either non active or the reduction isn't enough.
Or some other mods have been done to the car to remove the ECM's ability to control boost.

This boost reduction feature (for high gears) is really a MUST on a car that sees any street gas or street driving chores. Trust me, being able to run 20# of boost through 1st and 2nd gears with nothing more than pump gas and NO octane aids of any kind is a real thrill !!

But the boost pullback feature has to be active and useable in the car's electronics to do so.

Ok I just got off the phone with ramchargers and ordered a t+ and extender.The current setup has the solinoid connected and has a stock ecm other then chip. Now do you think I need a BstC boost command or not since I will have the stock system operational?If so who sells it?? Thank's Kevin

Back