You can type here any text you want

What tires on the stock GN rims?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ms. FastNasty

High time to get some tires for my car. What drag radial looks good on the stock GN rims? Any pictures? What about the front tires?
I want something that is decently big, but don't want to have to make a ton of modifications to the car to get them to fit.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated (as always).
Thanks guys! :biggrin:

MT 275/60 DR in the rear will fit. May have to roll the rips but many have no problem getten it under there as is. Or a MT 265/60 DR. That should fit with ease. Stock size setup for the front with a good street tire. That's essentially what I am going with on my street car.

I've ran 275/50/15 on stock rims in 06 They did rub a little when I hit very hard turns.

87GN.jpg

with the 275/50 vs 275/60, is either one more preferable than the other??
if so, why?
also have to order tires this week for the stock wheel..
trying to decide which size to go for...

with the 275/50 vs 275/60, is either one more preferable than the other??
if so, why?
also have to order tires this week for the stock wheel..
trying to decide which size to go for...

Both 275/50's and 275/60's will rub the frame around corners with stock GN wheels and really need a small spacer.

T-type wheels have a little less backspacing and will rub the frame less.

275/60's are slightly narrower and rub the frame less than the 50's. 275/60's are better if you are talking about drag radials. They spin less and allow for higher trap speeds than the 50's.

For the Stock GN wheel, the best size tire in back is 255/60's matched with 235/60's in front.

If you widen GN wheels to 8" and keep the stock backspacing, the 275 would be a good choice, but with stock GN wheels, 255/60's work best.

265-50-15,stock rims,25.5 tall(stock is 26 inch tall),no rubbing.cooper gt.and pretty cheap.;)

The 275/50's have a much wider cross-section width than the 60's. Mine never rubbed, but I also run aluminum drums.

There is no way the 60's are 'gonna hit the frame. I just don't see how it's possible since they are so much narrower than the 50's.

I currently have the 275/60's on my car, but on aftermarket rims... and they are nowhere near the frame. I had to trim the outer lip just a hair, but that's strictly due to the offset. On stock GN rims they would fit perfect.

I've also had 275/60's on stock GN rims in the past, but they were just cheap Cooper tires, not drag radials. They still fit just fine.

I've been running the MT ET Street Radials, 275/60 for years on the stock rear wheels. Best short to date on them is a 1.56.

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

275/50's on my T-type...
86ttype.jpg

275/60's on 15x7 - 3.5" bs Pro Stars...
DSC067852.jpg

275/50's on my stock GN rims...
DSC067214.jpg

275/60's on my stock GN rims...
gn5.jpg

thanx for the pics guys.
i dont think the 275s look bad on the stock rim (some say too big)

yullose, did you run any spacers on your grey T with the stock rims and I'm going to guess those are 275/60's?

I ran 275/50's on stock T-rims since DR's first came out in the 90's and they will rub the frame going around off ramps. GN wheels do the same, but moreso than the T-wheels.

It all depends on someones tolerance for frame rub. It doesn't seem to hurt the tire much, but I have been able to make the tires smoke pretty good from rubbing the frame on a long, high speed off ramp. I probably take corners faster than most people, I guess.

As for mounting 275 tires on a 7 inch rim, the 50's will wear funny, and traction may be less than if than they were on a larger rim and the guy you have mounting them may curse you, but they will still work better than a smaller, non drag radial on the same rim, so it's better than the alternative.

My 275/60's would rub on turns with the factory steel drums.

When I went to the aluminum drums, no more rubbing.

Thanks for all the replies! I think I like the look of the 27560's on the stock rims...what would be a good front tire?
Also, some have said a spacer is needed to keep the rear tires from rubbing the frame...what size spacer???
Thanks again!

Back