You can type here any text you want

What torque converter should I go with?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo6mike

Mike Ruminski
Im interested in opinions and experiences on what torque converter buy?I have stock motor stock cam with ta49,009s and precision stretch intercooler.I may go with a step up bigger turbo and injecters soon so I can get 10.90s out of the car. Thanks Mike

Mike,
I would look at a 9/11. They are a nice converter for the price. I used one with good success.
Pat`s also has a nice 10in for the money. I have never used one personally, but many people with my transmissions have, and love them.
I would look for a stall speed from 32-3400, and with a slight upgrade in the turbo from where you are now, it will fit your combo nicely, and show no downsides in everyday driving.
Brian

Thanks for info brian!Do you offer these converters or do you just rebuild them.What are the prices if you do?

Mike,
I do not sell converters.
Just the trannies. :-)
Thank you, Brian

i would use our 10.5 lockup /itll give approx.3000 stall at about 12psi.nice for your combination and also will respond with more stall when you build more power in the future.call in we stock them.718 784 4256

Thanks for info chris!I have a question about what stall to use?How do I decide? Because I was told between 3000 and 3500.Thanks

brian said it. the 9/11 is deffinatley a kick ass converter. i had one in my 93Typhoon, that was daily driven, 3400 stall lockup. no issues or problems with it. i had the regular 9/11. it cost $650. but i would have like to go with the billet 9/11 and it was 799.00. hope that helps

Thanks for the reply!Im hearing alot of good things about that 9/11 converter and I leaning toward that one.My buddy randy told me to go with that also.Still not sure about what stall to go with.

Mike ,Check out the parts for sale section. Someone has a 9-11 converter for a good price. It is a non lock up though, and you already know my thoughts on a non lock up. :)

I seen that .Im just worried about buying something used.It looks like a good deal.I call you ,I tried calling you yesterday,Ill try today.Thanks

I LOVE mypats 10 inch converter, very very good driving manners on the street.

turbo6mike said:
Im interested in opinions and experiences on what torque converter buy?I have stock motor stock cam with ta49,009s and precision stretch intercooler.I may go with a step up bigger turbo and injecters soon so I can get 10.90s out of the car. Thanks Mike

IMO, a Yank is the way to go.
Some time ago when I was thinking about getting a converter, I tried to get to drive as many different converter'd (lock-up, and none lock-up) cars as I could. There was a huge difference (IMO), to how they drove. If you're just into drag racing, then drivibility isn't as large of issue.

FWIW, mine's a Super Stock, 2,800 stall.

Back