what would I need?

one_bad_gn

I have a stroked 3.8L, 96# inj. and an Aeromotive Eliminator fuel pump. Right now I run 30# boost and 23.5 degrees of timing on 110 with no knock. I would like to run E85 in the car and would like some input.

What DC% cycle are your injectors running at. If you are under 65-70% I would think your injectors would be large enough, but close. Also are running at least -8 for your feed line. Engine management? Are you able to change your fueling? Wideband?

If you have a 10 micron paper or fabric fuel filter element, you will need to replace your post-filter with something with a stainless steel filter element. MagnaFuel has a 24 micron filter that should work well. BG has a 8 micron Dry-Break filter that should work. Aeromotive suggested using their 100 micron filter as a post filter as well.

Conrad

ps...FAST XFI can utilize a GM fuel sensor and switch everything for whatever fuel is in the tank....gasoline, E85, methanol, etc! They also have a A/F sensor that is compatable with all alcohols!!!

These post filters you guys are talking about, do they replace the existing stock filter or does one have to make changes in the fuel line fittings?
I'm looking for a plug and play fuel filter.
thanks

Ron

Just got of of the phone with AC Delco about the gf652 fuel filter being e85
compatible and they could not give me a answer either way, you would think
that they should know, so again does the after market make a plug and play fuel filter for our cars that is e85 compatible, maybe the gf652 is i do not know until I run it a while and cut one open and see, but do not want to cause any possible problems in the mean time if someone has a answer to this question.

Ron

I'm not aware of a "plug-n-Play" fuel system for E85. One member indicated he had been running E85 through stock fule system for years with no problems with compatibility. Aeromotive told me they do not recommend their 100 micron fabric filter for ethanol. If you are leaning toward staying with the stocck configuration (stock sock (pre-filter), stock-type in-tank pump and stock AC filter), I would run it and keep a close eye on the AC filter.

If you are going with aftermarket components with an external pump, just get a pump (and matching FPR) that will supply adequate fuel flow and pressure for your HP goal and use a stainless steel 100 micron pre-pump filter (Aeromotive makes one) and a 10 micron post-pump filter (MagnaFuel makes one). I would go with -8/-6AN supply/return hoses or -10/-8AN, depending on your HP goal. Keep in mind that E85 requires about 30-35% more flow than gasoline.

Also note that if you increase your boost (who won't?), you will be putting a BIG strain on your fuel pump. The fuel pump will be asked to increase flow AND pressure....but look at the 'flow vs pressure' curve for your fuel pump! As you increase the pressure, the available flow goes DOWN...not up! Think about it. Don't forget that the extra fuel flow WILL increase the pressure drop through the supply and return fuel lines.

Conrad

If this is your first time to run E85, be forewarned that the ethanol will clean any residue out of your fuel system. It has been recommended that we install a fresh filter before you run E85 and then again after a short time.

Let us know how it works.

I would like to see a OEM type filter that is e85 compatible, but I have a good hunch the AC GF652 fuel filter which is the stock ones for our cars
will be just fine, right now I only have about 150-200 miles on a 60to40 blend of e85 and gas, the 60 being gas and the 40 for the e85, I do not want to change my car with another unstock fuel system, so we will see how the e85 plays out, I think all will be fine, I'm waiting to hear more of the 79lb'ers that
Racetronix have and also waiting on Eric with tt chip for e85. I really do not want to mod the ECM at this point unless it is absolutely necessary to get
the fuel I need.

Ron

What DC% cycle are your injectors running at. If you are under 65-70% I would think your injectors would be large enough, but close. Also are running at least -8 for your feed line. Engine management? Are you able to change your fueling? Wideband?

The injectors are running at 61% DC and the engine made 921 hp on the dyno (with meth and 110). I'm using a translator Gen 2 and Extender Extreme chip to tune. I'm also running a Innovate LC1 wideband. From what I can tell the fuel system is all good (-10 fuel in/-6 out, 10-micron Aeromotive fuel filter). Any other thangs you might see that I would need or might need to change?

Those are some really impressive HP numbers. I would suggest going bigger on the injectors since before you were using alky & 110 at 61% DC, but every car is different just keep a close eye on that dc cycle. Also you might want to change that filter to 100micron stainless mesh pre filter, thats what I am running it was suggested from aeromotive. What fuel rail are you running? I would start out with 15-20% on the mainscale and 15% on the high load page and go from there. I target 11.5 afr, I tried to richen it up at the track 11.2 afr and I lost MPH. What is your engine combo, turbo, ect...

Those are some really impressive HP numbers. I would suggest going bigger on the injectors since before you were using alky & 110 at 61% DC, but every car is different just keep a close eye on that dc cycle. Also you might want to change that filter to 100micron stainless mesh pre filter, thats what I am running it was suggested from aeromotive. What fuel rail are you running? I would start out with 15-20% on the mainscale and 15% on the high load page and go from there. I target 11.5 afr, I tried to richen it up at the track 11.2 afr and I lost MPH. What is your engine combo, turbo, ect...

My fuel rails are custom ones I had made (made them before I knew about the GN1's). Engine is a 109 block that has a Bryant racing billet stroker crank and billet rods, GN1R ported heads, custom Comp billet roller cam, T&D 1.65 roller rockers, RJC billet girdle, all billet main caps, welded and ported stock lower intake, 75mm throttle body, Pt 76 DBB turbo, RJC FMI ,TA four bolt headers and a JGS 50mm wastegate that dumps into a custom 3.5" downpipe and exhaust with a DAN muffler. The car still has the a/c and runs the streets of Texas. Have not ran it down the track (needs rollcage) but it should run a low 9 after it is all said and done.

Guys and Gals,

Concerning non-stainless steel fuel filters, I found this on the Barry Grant web site:

5. Unsuitable fuel filter
Fuel filters with conventional paper elements must not be used with alcohol. Because alcohol absorbs water, the paper and the bonding materials deteriorate quickly............. Further, it's equally important on alcohol applications, to avoid filters with inadequate flow rates, and inlet and outlet sizes that are too restrictive.

While they are discussing methanol, it is equally applicable to ethanol!

Conrad