What would you recommend for an exhaust?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
Ok, I am starting to plan on redoing my exhaust.

So far my car still has the stock 2.5 down pipe, with the stock 2.25 pipes branching off to a pair of Slowmaster *ahem* I mean "Flowmasters:D mufflers, and it also has the jerry-wrigged shade tree test pipe too.

As a replacement I have a Terry Houston 3 inch down pipe, with a dump pipe, but from there on out....

I originally planned on doing a 3 inch single exhaust but have considered a dual set up.

I see Hooker has one...Hooker Headers 16810HKR - Hooker Super Competition Cat-Back Exhaust Systems - summitracing.com but how well does it flow? Are the mufflers a high flowing type? Last thing I need is something to choke up the exhaust.

I am thinking these are what they use for mufflers? : Hooker Headers 21106HKR - Hooker Super Competition Turbo Mufflers - summitracing.com

Then I see Pypes also makes them but there seems to be a few types of Pypes. :biggrin:

It looks like they have a Street Pro and a Race Pro. The Street Pro runs about $70 more, but why?

It does show the Street Pro as having a chambered muffler (Flowmasters right???) and the Race Pro as having a turbo muffler....what's the difference? Are turbo mufflers like a straight thru muffler?

Then I also noticed of the two Street Pro's, one of them is stainless steel while the other is aluminized, yet both are the same price. Do the stainless steels typically last longer than the aluminized?

Street Pro stainless:
Pypes Performance SGG53S - Pypes Street Pro Exhaust Systems - summitracing.com

Street Pro aluminized:
Pypes Performance SGG50S - Pypes Street Pro Exhaust Systems - summitracing.com

Race Pro:
Pypes Performance SGG50R - Pypes Race Pro Dual Exhaust Systems - summitracing.com

My main objective is to have as free flowing of an exhaust as possible.

Also just curious (not that it's more important than performance) but what do these exhaust systems I have listed sound like?

Thanks!

Thanks, but that's a little too rich for me. :tongue: On a budget here, and I don't have a show rig. :redface:

Hooker 2.5 inch cat back with aerochamber or maxxflo mufflers. Can't beat it for the money. The ultraflo mufflers flow really well also.

Hooker 2.5 inch cat back with aerochamber or maxxflo mufflers. Can't beat it for the money. The ultraflo mufflers flow really well also.

Ya.. you can beat it.... get the stainless pypes race flow... cheaper AND stainless.... see post below, or search here for 'pypes'....

Ok, I am starting to plan on redoing my exhaust.

So far my car still has the stock 2.5 down pipe, with the stock 2.25 pipes branching off to a pair of Slowmaster *ahem* I mean "Flowmasters:D mufflers, and it also has the jerry-wrigged shade tree test pipe too.

As a replacement I have a Terry Houston 3 inch down pipe, with a dump pipe, but from there on out....

I originally planned on doing a 3 inch single exhaust but have considered a dual set up.

I see Hooker has one...Hooker Headers 16810HKR - Hooker Super Competition Cat-Back Exhaust Systems - summitracing.com but how well does it flow? Are the mufflers a high flowing type? Last thing I need is something to choke up the exhaust.

I am thinking these are what they use for mufflers? : Hooker Headers 21106HKR - Hooker Super Competition Turbo Mufflers - summitracing.com

Then I see Pypes also makes them but there seems to be a few types of Pypes. :biggrin:

It looks like they have a Street Pro and a Race Pro. The Street Pro runs about $70 more, but why?

It does show the Street Pro as having a chambered muffler (Flowmasters right???) and the Race Pro as having a turbo muffler....what's the difference? Are turbo mufflers like a straight thru muffler?

Then I also noticed of the two Street Pro's, one of them is stainless steel while the other is aluminized, yet both are the same price. Do the stainless steels typically last longer than the aluminized?

Street Pro stainless:
Pypes Performance SGG53S - Pypes Street Pro Exhaust Systems - summitracing.com

Street Pro aluminized:
Pypes Performance SGG50S - Pypes Street Pro Exhaust Systems - summitracing.com

Race Pro:
Pypes Performance SGG50R - Pypes Race Pro Dual Exhaust Systems - summitracing.com

My main objective is to have as free flowing of an exhaust as possible.

Also just curious (not that it's more important than performance) but what do these exhaust systems I have listed sound like?

Thanks!

The Pypes SGG53S has Monte Carlo SS type exhaust exits...
The Pypes SGG50S (S-for street) is not aluminized, but rather Stainless :))) , has the proper side exits, and that description on summit is just outdated
The Pypes SGG50R (R-for Race) is also stainless, has the proper side exits, and has a more straight-thu muffler design than the SGG50S.

All the hookers are aluminized steel, and will eventually rust....

Pypes are cheaper.... you decide... :wink:

The Hooker systems are great. I have had it on mine for six years and I love it. Definitely get the proper side exhaust exits. The Monte SS style look terrible on Regals. Anymore, I don't even like them on the SS. ;)

The Hooker system rusted out in the first bend on my GN in under 3 years and 3K miles, the car is stored indoors. I contacted Hooker & I was told the reason was because I didn't drive it much and the cement draws moister. Then if you want a replacement section.....Your $hit out of luck. The Pypes system is cheaper and made from better materials, I will never buy Hooker again and advise others not to as well.

A New Pypes cat back is setting beside the GN, once I get time to pull the crappy Hooker off.:mad:

Damn I'm really starting to lean towards the Pypes race type, especially since it's the cheapest and supposidly the mufflers are a straight thru style.

I just hope they flow like a mutha when the engine starts exhaling. I want it to be just like running a set of open headers, but much quieter.