whats the best way to remove the headliner

87grandnat

I am going to take my headliner to a pro, to have it redone. What is the best way to get it out?

thanks,
Joshua

very carefully

it is made out of styrofoam(spelling):D very very fragile.....i got a friend to help me get it out of the car once i got everything down like sunvisors,trim,dome light,etc etc...i think i left the dome last to hold it up till i got ready to get it out of the car....maybe someone on here does headliners for a living and can give you a few more pointers...i done mine like 3 years ago...............Bob

Getting it in and out is the hardest part...if you got it out, I'd just pick up the material and some very good quality spray glue like 3M (probably can get it all at the same place) and do it yourself....just start from a corner and work your way across the styrofoam shell a few inches at a time applying the glue then pressing the headliner material on.
I got my headliner from a carpet and fabric supply, Larry Dennis Corp here locally, had the exact match material.

I just noticed your here in DFW, Larry Dennis Corp is at the intersection of SE Loop 820 and US287, although the phonebook shows they are at 6121 Midway Rd off of Airport Frwy in Haltom City...maybe they moved..it was several years ago that I got it.

I'm doing mine now, with the help of another few people who've done their's before. Like stated in a previous post, take your visors, coat hangers, dome light off. Push/pull the side molding one end at a time. There's some little black clips that hold them on and hopefully you won't break them. You might have to remove the front pillar trim (along the front of the door) to ease removal. Depending on how many glue pads are still attached, you should be able to slide the backer board enough away from the windshield molding and then the rear glass. There are two of these adhesive pads above the backing board in the front and a few in the back if I remember correctly, but chances are they aren't stuck to the board anymore. You should be able to weasel the rear seat side panel away enough to gently pry the backer board out. You might even try doing that before releasing the board from the front and back molding. Then there's the joy of squeezing the board out the door. Rotate it 90 deg and try your luck. If you managed to fracture the board like I did at the visor corners don't sweat it. Just get some thin (non-corrugated) cardboard and spray glue it back together.

2QUIK6,
I just visited your party page. I'm sending my home address to you for when you send out invitations to your next event! :D

Contact Bweavy,he can sell you the proper color headliner w/ a fiberglass back board.VERY NICE peice.:cool:

well, i have managed to crack the board in a couple of places, as it is not coming out as easily as i hoped it would, it is hotter than all hell out right now so i am taking a break and will continue to try to remove it after a while

broke1, i didnt see that on there web page, how much is it for what you are talking about?

Call Brian or send him an email:)

The price is no more expensive than having a pro do the whole job...

Were can i get those little plastic clips that are in the back trim piece, i broke 2 of them.

thanks,
Joshua

trim clips

Back clips part# is 20061050 and front clips part# is 20058837...i got mine from the local gm parts department......................Bob

A friend of mine just replaced his with the ABS plastic backed healiner from 1A Auto. The cost is $140. It is very nice to work with...you can bend it all you want to get it into place. Some of the holes for the visors and coat hooks had to be enlarged a little bit but other than that it is a very nice fit and the color matches very well. Here is the website: http://www.1aauto.com/1A/headliners/Buick/GrandNational/1AIHL00287/131781
Good Luck

i like that, what color would a gn be? I think i might go this route

thanks for the info,
Joshua

Bweavy doesnt get them from there I dont think(company wasnt in Maryland)

Might just be the same but id rather support a TR vendor:)

Well u said that Bweavy sells one that has a fiberglass back and the one we were working with is plastic so it must not be the same one. Not to mention i did not know that Bweavy sold headliners so I am SORRY if i offended you. Just putting in my 2cents with my experiences.

Originally posted by boosted3
Well u said that Bweavy sells one that has a fiberglass back and the one we were working with is plastic so it must not be the same one. Not to mention i did not know that Bweavy sold headliners so I am SORRY if i offended you. Just putting in my 2cents with my experiences.

Didnt offend,just putting in my $.02 as im VERY happy with the headliner Brian sold me that will never sag:D