whats the large relay on drivers fender?

Madmustard

the relay closest to the firewall on drivers fender on 84 GN?What is it called and whats it control?unplugged it and fell apart in my hand?Need to know which one it is to purchase a new one....

Sounds like the fan delay relay....keeps the fans running for 10 minutes after shut down. The relay is known to cause all sorts of electrical gremlins and dead batteries due to keeping the fan running when not needed. Best to unplug it and leave it. A new one is rather expensive.

How did yours fall apart? The bottom half with all the circuitry and relays is separable from the shell housing itself via 4 snaps. Perhaps you can just snap it back into place?

did some research. car is an 84 but checked the oil pan and gnttype website and they put the 86/87 wiring and motor in the car so its the coolant fan delay relay....like 86/87 had

Is it ok to just unplug this like you said?car runs 170 ish in 85 degree weather so it doesnt run hot.I disconnected the wiring and the bottom fell out with a copper wire piece etc????

As said they arent needed at all. If its a show car & you want one they are harder to find. I have a good used one for $50 if you so desire but unless a show car leave it off.

if yours came apart your in luck
remove all of the internals then put it back together and plug the wires back in
and that relay will never give you a problem plus it will still look like OE and you wont have unplugged wire hanging around .